• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Well the week of great weather continues and yesterday was down right hot.
    East Saskatchewan just on the other side of the valley.

Seeding in our area started on Monday basically. Some were going Friday then a few more Saturday then a few tried on Sunday but Monday was go day.

We should get to 17% done by tonight if all works according to the plan. HA Ha ha.

Peas are done and in the ground. We tried using a different seed treatment than other years and inoculated a little more than usual. Lots of peas in our area. Some guys who haven't had peas in years are seeding peas. I think the stats Canada number is low. No lentils at all in our area.
    Durum is seeded, area we seeded is not what we use to seed but if it stays dry and we are back to normal rainfall next year we will seed more.

Barley will be seeded today till weekend by one drill.

Second drill is going on Spring wheat. Seed quarter is done we are changing up to Brandon Wheat for 2017. Our wheat will be Carberry this year on all acres except three quarters of Goodeve for midge.

Canola will be a go after the 10th of May.

Still lots of fires going on in our area.
    Lots of preharrow.

Basically the leaves have started to come out the ground is warming up the top 1/4 inch is dry but wet after that and sloughs are gone or dropping fast.
    Best seeding conditions in Years. Most farmers are happy and feel like were back to normal after all the years of Flooding.

So be safe out their and have fun and remember its only a crop. The ones at home are way more important.
    Enjoy going back and forth, and mile up and back.
    What are others at and where are you located.

guys still burning here , can't imagine what they're thinking? next thing we will see is land blowing on these burnt acres . we are really dry !

Comment

One neighbor seeded a bit of fall tilled stuff yesterday. But he is going around things on land that has no sloughs, so not ready yet. My land personally is not ready. Water sitting a lot of areas I seeded through last year. Creek still trickling across my land, making access to my unharvested acres impossible. That, along with swather ruts filled with water on my canola, is what I am waiting for.

I am going to try the beans tomorrow. Or at least see if I can get to them with the combine. Through the trickling creek and mud flats. grrr.

My alfalfa seeded last summer sure looks good. Should have seeded more. Lambs coming fast and furious. What an awesome and rewarding experience. Me, my wife, and my 4 kids all running from ewe to lambing ewe, helping them where needed. Kids are getting to be such a big help. Way too much fun! lol That to me, is farming! No parasitic input suppliers, no banks bugging me, no payments at all. Never will be either. Just plain fun. Ordered more wire yesterday. Cheap investment. Wish I never had to combine and seed this spring, I would rather be pounding posts and hanging wire instead.

I think next week is the general area start date here in the wet zone.

Comment

Harrowed through whole field, wet spots but about 10 days earlier than last few years. Top drying FAST, seed deep guys, no regrets sitting in dust till July. Other fields wetter, work safe.
        Radar show s a spit of rain between Hum and Melfort?
        Last edited by fjlip; May 5, 2016, 08:20.

Comment

Satellite shows a system building in Western states heading this way After the heat we've had, it might give us a drink. Keep seeders going hard and here's hoping for a 2 -Day downpour, hey Farmaholic? Come on over Idaho Low!

Comment

Peas and wheat seeded Monday has sprouted and on its way . Moisture held good in furrow considering the dry winds .
            Should be done 75% of the wheat by tomorrow night then might switch to canola and get er in while we can .
            Most everyone started or about to in a day or so.
            Still lots of potholes in areas to the north east of here. Hwy 16 south and west of here getting dry.
            Light land and hilltops are almost dried right out.
            The heavy land still holding moisture good but getting stiff.

Comment

Sumdumguy....I won't be greedy...just wet it up again so canola and flax come up uniformly!!!!

Be safe out there ladies and gentlemen. ....there will be NO Ag related work place injuries or casualties, will there!!!!
              Last edited by farmaholic; May 5, 2016, 09:57.

Comment

Just checked what should be my driest fields. Be a while yet. Good thing we got this heat going on. My boy is 11 and weighs about 75 lbs. He is at that thin stage...He was sinking in his boots in average areas of the field. Made that slurping sound still. I shoulda been wearing snowshoes I guess.

Just an update. To those who are going, yes, be safe, and be glad.

Comment

Airtank filling procedure:
                  1: Squint eyes
                  2: Press lips tightly together
                  3: Swear under your breath because your lips are pressed tightly together...

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...