• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blocking pattern at work!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blocking pattern at work!

So rain storms go north and rain goes south and in the middle western Canada and northern USA get none.
    Its only early days of May but this better change soon or shit will happen. We have adequate moisture and it runs deep but can a Fire in Northern Sask or Alberta save us again.
    Winds are the other thing that's abundant this spring.
    Most are from the East and usually brings rain.
    Again this isn't about my farm or me or how dry we are its about a weather story that no one is talking about.
    SHHHHHHHH all is good don't want to get excited yet the farmers are still dumbing Billions into the ground. It will rain it always does.
    Ha its all Bull shit like the flood years not one Story ever showed how destructive the rain was on farmers in the flood zone. Will it happen again no stories on the drought that looks to be setting up right now.
    Yes its real early but with lots talking if Canola will germinate it must be getting a little serious.
    Canola down hard. Ah the market always knows. We mean shit all to the world and its not really a weather story. So farmers keep spending to help the bottom line of the Companies.
    Wink wink wink trust me the insurance and Gov programs work if the shit hits the fan.
    HA HA HA
    But serious why isn't this news already. No major snow all winter every area had that except Hudson bay north. Now a very very dry April and still no mention.

Environment Canada says May will be dry and Much of June. WTF.

So ill say it.

Driest Seeding and earliest start since the Mid 80s. (For the new farmers search it on Google what happened in Western Canada during those years).

What are others seeing in their area, for us were back to almost full fields and end to end Sloughs are dropping but still moisture 1/4 inch down. Still stuck once a day but hey that's better than once a hour.

The cowboys around here gotta be nervous. No rain---no grass in the pastures or hayfields. We have been turning around In and driving through some hay sloughs while seeding with no real growth in them and the middle of some of the deeper ones the hay is drowned out from too much water the past few years. These guys are going to be in a world of hurt if it doesn't rain substantially soon!

"Don't Worry be Happy" spark a joint up with Bob Marley.

For some of you, the conditions I'm describing must make you think I'm from a different planet.

Be safe.
    Last edited by farmaholic; May 3, 2016, 06:17.

Comment

On our land anyway, it's powdery dust on the top 1/4" and gets mucky below that.
      The ground is firm though, which makes it nice to be able to bring trucks anywhere on the field for fills.

Comment

Seeding conditions couldn't be better in this gumbo, but the furrow is left open by the drill and it will dry out in a few days. Farmers gotta have faith that rains will come. We farmed through the 80's - no need to ask Suri what happened. The late crops were better most of the time because the spotty showers never came until July in 1980, 86 and 88, but we always had lots of lentils, then almost needed vacuum cleaners to get them, though they paid the bills. Peas couldn't hang on and canary was pathetic.All the small seeds were losers.

Comment

Only oldest ones on here will remember 1961.
          After very wet years in 1950's, was driest year since thirties. Copland moisture was depleted at start of year and only good summerfallow had much crop worth harvesting.
          Most farms in our area had cattle and feed supplies were a big concern.
          As much as some like to bash our risk management programs, think they would show their worth in another 1961 type year.
          After inch and a half mid April rain, ground just getting dried out to to normal. Soil profiles have all the moisture they can hold.
          Looking forward with optimism to this year and for other farms like our own, a dry year would be a good thing.
          Multi year drougth would be another thing.

Comment

It feels a little too familiar to me as well. The 80s part.
            Weather, attitudes, markets, economy, govts. Elderly landowners taking land back to farm themselves. Last time for them '84. Etc, Etc.
            Good submoisture unless you vtilled your pea straw.
            Oh well, 7 weeks from today and the days get shorter.

Comment

Very wet still. Went for a long walk yesterday. Had to check some beaver dams and so on. If the weather holds, maybe next week? This weather is exactly what our area needs, but it is strange that it can't seem to rain, and there will still need to be a rain in june/july. I can not get to my unharvested crops yet, due to running water and slimy conditions. I thought I would be rolling by now. One guy was cultivating yesterday a mile over, but he was going around piles of stuff on land that has no sloughs, so I am not sure what his point is?

Dropped some barley straw last fall. Thought I would try to bale it, but way too muddy. Still frost under the swaths too.

Got our first lambs yesterday. What a nice, calm, laid back, hands on, and rewarding way to farm. Ordering more fence today, before the page wire sale is over at the Co-op on Thursday. lol

Comment

Freewheat, what's a lamb worth?

Comment

Does anyone look up at the sky and see those long jet trails that slowly turn into clouds that stretch across the sky and almost make it hazy? Those don't seem right to me, I have to wonder if some how they are playing into this bizarre weather... intentionally or not I do believe they effect precipitation

Comment

1961 my father always talks about the year it never rained! All flats and low areas produced well but high ground or hills zip! Droughts worst year in the 80 s got within 5 miles of our farm! Droughts suck but one thing you know when to go to the lake vs spraying to save a crop!

Comment

Remember SF "Rain doesn't make grain, it makes mud."
                      Famous last words.

Comment

Magnum rain is a inch or so once a week rain I'm talking about is every cloud pours and the inch becomes two or three three times a week! We're back!

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
                          Freewheat, what's a lamb worth?
                          We sell them for 300 bucks plus cut and wrap in a box. 50 lb box at 6 bucks a lb. Specific cuts, 8 bucks a lb. Want some? It is some awesome awesome meat! We get rave reviews from south Africans and from the greek community. We must be on the right track? lol

A cow eats 7 times a ewe. A ewe usually twins. So twins: 2 X 7 at 300 bucks, is like getting 4200 bucks for a calf. So far so good, we just need to boost our numbers. Lots of markets like this out there these days. We are looking at hogs too, they pencil even better than that.

Heck, my wife is currently hatching out 40 chicks. They are all sold at 10 buck each. lol The 6 hens that laid those eggs are pretty darn cheap to raise. She has a bunch of fertile eggs waiting for pickup at 40 bucks a dozen.

There is far too much money in city folks pockets. And they want this stuff. They want that connection. they want it bad. I aim to provide it!

Most of all, I do enjoy the critter side of farming. SO MUCH LESS STRESS.

Comment

Freewheat...how does your Wifey get anything done sitting on those eggs day and night for 21 days. Do you bring her food somshe doesn't have to get off them?

Literally. .....

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                              Freewheat...how does your Wifey get anything done sitting on those eggs day and night for 21 days. Do you bring her food somshe doesn't have to get off them?

Literally. .....
                              She gets a bit impatient at times. I take her food and water. Bout all a guy can do, huh?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...