• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

May 21 st ..

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

May 21 st ..

Hmmm, get canola to the two leaf or better or wait till after the 15 th to seed if moisture is there .... Tough call in this part of world .
    Full moon - I know grrrr , it's a fairy tale
    Time will tell - 3 days before till 3 days after .. I will give it a 75% chance of -4 to -5 in this area within two days of that full moon.
    Or hopefully it's only -2 to -3 with high humidity like a lot of areas last year with no issues.
    But for some of us -6 dry frost kicked us in the nuts .
    Hedge your bets - that's my call as of now .
    Would be nice to have a late May without frost - kinda like the last 7 years harvest around here .
    Good luck to all,'some guys will be rolling by weekend here .
    One thing about farming - there is no rule book on right or wrong year by year . Giver if your heart tells you.

You go when you can go. But went for a drive yesterday all excited that maybe later this week we would try. Not a fun drive. From road looks better than last few years but don't I repeat don't attempt to drive around in the field with truck. You learn to walk.

Comment

Have gone from drivin' to walkin' a few tymes meself

Comment

Fields are dry on top , but sill need water to go down for a week yet. Looks warm next week

Comment

All good threads need contrast..... last fall we reclaimed a lot of low spots that the previous years made too wet to seed, in fact held water. They were worked last fall and were a bit soddy....this spring we were able to heavy harrow them(or most of it). A week or so later we took the land roller in and firmed them up to make a better seed bed. Now if that is possible think what the conditions on the high ground are like. Silver lining (as thin as it is) was the fall precip we recieved last fall, I am going into denial. I don't know if I can confidently seed canola until we see a decent rain.

Catch 22...seed early into available moisture and risk an early season frost (like last year) or wait and soil continues to dry out.

Ahhh farming, not for the faint of heart or anyone who knows better!
          Last edited by farmaholic; Apr 27, 2016, 07:11.

Comment

We work up all low areas last fall as well - every single AC I did is under 2-4 ft of water again lol
            Duck and geese happy

Comment

Need temps above 10 during the day to get any amount of drying..Wet and more wet here...

Comment

Originally posted by Partners View Post
                Need temps above 10 during the day to get any amount of drying..Wet and more wet here...
                Yes sir. One day of 18 just doesn't do a whole lot. Got stuck bad on Monday in the field with the Yukon. Still frost in places. I thought it was dryer than it is...lol Where I got stuck was just an average spot, not a low spot. Low spots must be quite damp.

Comment

Zero chance of rain till mid May here.

Comment

Same forecast of furrow. No sign of rain in the next two weeks!
                    Direct seeders must have moisture, stubble traps snow , and the old undisturbed root system allows snow melt to perculate down, and the cover from plant material basically eliminates surface evaporation and no erosion. It must perfect conditions.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...