• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

What a week almost never made it, almost arrested by the Language police in Manitoba. But back in Saskatchewan and getting ready for Plant 16.

Funny this has been the nicest winter since the Year I was married or a year back in the 70s where the ice was out of the rinks the first week of March and it Rained no poured April 1st that year. Climate change my ass. It happened before and it will happen again.

So for this early crop report from East Central we still have Frost in the Ground and some snow left in the tree lines. Run off is done or just coming to a halt.
    Farmers are busy getting drills ready and most have in yards on a hill top or piece of grass to work on.
    Grain is getting cleaned and guys are looking for seed.
    Lentils will be in our area but from most conversations the older guys who grew lentils in the past are sitting on side lines and a few new younger farmers are trying for the first time.
    Peas lots will be back and even the guys who swore they would never grow peas again will be seeding them.
    We are going to seed some Durum for the first time in Years. Only a few hundred acres but if the weather pattern stays we might be back as a durum grower again. I loved growing Durum.
    Lots of CPS will be seeded in our area.
    Canola acres are booked and most will seed the same as usual. The BTO who is done seeded Canola snow Canola for years so those acres if rented will be 90% cereal.
    Flax is going to take it on the Chin, and Oats. Looks like most rotations will be 1/3 canola 1/3 peas lentils or flax and 1/3 cereal.
    Moisture is good to great in our area with no one venturing farther out in fields than bringing in equipment.
    Grass trying to start to grow but last week slowed down a lot of spring activity.
    Fuel is up over 8 cents this week. Dealers still have very few sales or work for the back shop and Chem and Seed and Fert salesman aren't getting that much optimism in Rural Sask. Lots of promises but very few making a commitment. Also rent is lower and some land has softened around $25,000 a quarter. Chinese and investors still major buyer with a few local deals happening to make a block.

So as plant 16 begins Remember its your family at home that is more important than any fricking Crop.
    What are others doing Area would be nice when posting.

Ready, set, grow...

Water tank nurse outift ready to go.
    Sprayer ready to go or just calibrate Smartax.
    Drill just have to remove the kitty litter from the metering augers and sumps...otherwise ready to go.
    Most seed cleaned.
    Glyphosate both picked up and some delivered.
    Versi ready to go....maybe just calibrate Smartrax.
    Harrowing reclaimed low spots(where we can),,,,
    kinda soddy.
    Hoping for a shot of rain to help maintain moisture close to soil surface.
    Hoping canola and wheat prices continue t rally.
    Trying to remain positive (farming101) and grateful...

Take care this spring....

SE of Regina.

Comment

I received a call from Fort St. John, an organic grower who wants to plant lentils. Good idea, eh?

Comment

Gonna be a glorious week out on the old prairiee!
        The week ahead forecast looks great for getting things dried out. Well make a start anyway.
        Sorry for the guys who still have snow on the ground. And sorry for the guys who are too dry.
        Not many will be seeding too early around here, although some
        fields with terrain conducive to shedding water might go in early.
        Flax, yes acres should be down but I'm not sure it will help. Dismal
        marketing performance so far this year. Producer deliveries down 15%.
        Your checkoff dollars at work.
        More peas likely but scarecrows will need to be placed as soon as the
        drill leaves the field.
        Canola acres will be high again.
        With the wheat class changes look for a lot more of the new varieties to
        get tried out. I'm thinking there is going to be a decent market for the HRSW
        class. Could be wrong.

Had an earlier post with a satellite picture but wasn't the right size. Sorry about that.

Comment

Fields we seeded last year April 23-28th still are 80% snow covered. Climbing the wall here wanting to get rolling but feels like March here yet.
          Be lucky to start first week of May.

Comment

Flax checkoff dollars?

Any checkoff dollars?

Selling our pulse varieties to our competitors so the researchers can do it all over again. Where is the roi back to farmers that funded it in the first place. ... maybe a reduction in checkoff fees to start?

Comment

Snow nearly gone, but close to 2" wet snow /rain in a week, and she's VERY wet and muddy, saturated, water sitting on hills? Got month to get crazy here!

Comment

#and the chicks for free

Comment

No sign of wheat midge

Comment

Fukin flooding in areas here . To heck with midge , ducks , geese and swans here !

Comment

Farming101.

Typical Canadian, always saying they're sorry.

"Sorry", for signalling it out! LOL

Frost in the cattail sloughs that don't burn.

Otherwise, this rain event is welcome.

Comment

Putting down edge next week, should start seeding the following Monday at Perdue.

Comment

First the language police and now this! LOL

I did take a shot at the Flax Council....

Comment

Lots of people in the feild around here, have been for a month. Saw the first one on March 8, north of Calgary. Have missed every opportunity for moisture since the snow melted a long time ago, looking like a repeat of last year only earlier, warmer and drier so far.

I think I will wait till the usual time and assume it will rain eventually.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                            • Return to Topic List
                            Working...