• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Straight Talk

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Straight Talk

Do you have enough moisture to get a crop out of the ground?

Inlaws plainly don't... If it doesn't rain things won't sprout.. or at least not well.

Stopped at our colonsay land yesterday, could be out there seeding except the soil is too cold.

Around home moisture would be adequate to slightly surplus.

As farmers, ranchers, gardeners our entire living hinges on rainfall. You do have to plant if you expect to harvest. As always recommended seed to moisture.
    I have a bad habit of going a little deeper because the old cultivator is not much of a precision tool. So do consider there still a handful of so called farmers that just go out there and get planted with some very primitive seeding eauipment.....and then hope there will be adequate rain.

Comment

Last year laid the seed apparently 2mm above the moisture but was rain in the forecast everyday.

Well everyday became the end of July.

Not good. It was a shitty crop.
      Last edited by bucket; Apr 13, 2016, 12:02.

Comment

Have to seed or no insurance. Could be going now. 2 1/2 weeks early. Wont start for 2 weeks yet. Scared to look where moisture is.

Comment

hobby.... your seeding equipment may not be a precision tool but you are...Sorry, spring is here and a bit feisty...LOL

My biggest concern will be the moisture in the flax stubble, then the pea stubble, and everything else should be close to equal. Not that there was any amount of snow here to fill stubble in the first place but seems flax is notorious for drying the ground out... I don't know if the left over stubble is a ****ing wick for moisture to get pulled out of the ground or what. I might have to adjust my rotation...

Comment

moisture alright way to early to start seeding I will wait to around 1 of may

Comment

Looked yesterday. Air drill still standing in 2 feet of snow. Not starting for a while yet. And yes, there is enough moisture.

Comment

Excess moisture here. Actually, excess snow left for this time of year. Forecast high today? 12 C. Actual current temp? 4 C. And so it goes. I may be glad at some point that it is shaping up like this here, but right now it is crazy...

Comment

Wet wet wet! Good if your at a T shirt party.
                  Like the heat today!

Comment

wet up north dry down south go figure, regina flats seem dryish 50kms north adequate.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER3 View Post
                      Wet wet wet! Good if your at a T shirt party.
                      Like the heat today!
                      Heat? What heat? Plus 5.

Comment

Moisture to start a crop here, but very cold soil. Not much reserve in the soil if you go by dugout/slough levels. Supposed to rain anywhere from an 1" to 2.5" here Thur-Sat depending which forecast you look at. Bring it on I say! Too early and too cold to be seeding so time for a moisture top up first.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	North of Mistatim.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	764900Click image for larger version

Name:	Snow belt yesterday.jpg
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	764901Click image for larger version

Name:	Super Grid CTP Primary Grid north of Peesane.jpg
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	764902More than enough moisture to start, if it ever warms up to melt the snow. It has not completely melted on north facing roof of our house YET. Big water is BIGGER, check Quill. The warmest temp yesterday so far this YEAR...7.5C!. Wondering what planet we are on after being in Saskatoon on weekend? Just heard in Mistatim area, ALL white 18" on level in fields! Just a 30 mile strip E and W. Wild extremes. Neighbor said his family moved up here in 30's because it never rained near US border and they were starving then. Could it repeat? Wet could be the high price land, Freewheat. Pics are Mistatim winter on Apr 12, any of drought same day?
                          Last edited by fjlip; Apr 13, 2016, 08:51.

Comment

It's always our eastern pocket that holds snow the longest, further north PA area, fields are bare.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                            • Return to Topic List
                            Working...