• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Durum varieties

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Durum varieties

Anyone familiar with any USA durum varieties. It seems like picking a variety is like throwing a dart. The newer varieties seem to out told Kyle but it is certainly not an absolute. In some reports one does better and other reports its the opposite.

Looking at Brigade, transcend or maybe Marchwell?

I've grown Brigade for three yrs. Yields the best out of all the varieties I've grown. Only draw back there can be a lot of straw. Some will say it doesn't grade as good as some of the other varieties, but I've yet to find that. First yr I grew it yield was 73, protein was 14.

Comment

Looking at a different durum as well. Any thoughts on Verona? Trying to avoid too much straw, but also want a higher protein sample.

Comment

You guys ever hear of fusarium? Good luck finding anything to stand up to that potential assault. Too much straw would pale in comparison to what fusarium will do to it. I think Marchwell has a slight improvement for fusarium "tolerance". Not very re-assuring when your starting at the bottom for tolerance to start with. Maybe fusarium isn't an issue where you are?

Comment

Weather is a changing farma, it's a changing.

Comment

Verona yields well but bleaches badly in a little rain. Brigade has too much straw. Eurostar is good for yield, adequate straw and holds color reasonably well. Everyone is on the transcend bandwagon around here now.

Comment

spitfire looks promising

Comment

What is the rules for bringing non registered USA varieties into Canada and growing them? Then slipping them into our markets.
                I know it used to be illegal but with all the changes I'm not sure anymore.

Using the Hudye Farms case it seems it maybe okay or at least Ritz and the regulatory body didn't do anything about it.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...