• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weather stations for the Farm!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yup - the May long weekend lol

Comment

What am I missing with your thinking S3?

Sorry, I don't want to sound like an ass but when it freezes I know when I harvest the grain and when I shop it around in the next year for best grade and best price.

As some have posted, its another gadget and as you say, another tool in the tool box.

For the cost of that tool, I'd feel better giving that money to a charity

Comment

It's sad that more farmers aren't embracing this kind of data. I'm sure most of you getting up SF3 ass farm in a nice 10 mile radius and what you see out your window in the morning is what you get on the whole farm. Some of us are spread out and having information like rainfall, temp and wind speed are nice to know before loading up and moving the sprayer 45 miles. Even having some production benchmarks like bu/inch of rain or more accurate heat unit measurements can be big money makers when it comes to variety selection. Better data would also improve access to risk management tools like weather derivatives.

Comment

Davis vantage pro2. $1500. it has solar power onboard, and you can daisy chain repeaters all the way back to the farm. Not sure if they have a celluar option yet. Just need to clean the bird shit out of the rain guage once in a while so it doesnt plug.

Comment

Like the vantage pro2 they have a new version out.

Comment

Davis vantage says repeater spread upto 1000ft apart. In my experience that means realistically 500-750ft...takes a heck of a lot of repeaters to make that work over any distance

Needs cellular

Comment

Wunderground.com

Weather Underground costs about $400/station, there are literally thousands across N America.

Has everything including radar and tracking storms; cell hookups through wifi... no monthly cost... very good forecasts... part of the Weather Network system... we have reported on this before.

Cheers!

Comment

Davis yagi antanaes claim several miles of transmission. Has anyone tried these?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...