• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weather stations for the Farm!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weather stations for the Farm!

Ok first thing is Yes I phoned the Club and they have a weather station for sale or lease. JD weather station runs about $11,000.00 wow you say wow I say. Can purchase similar equipment with all sensors for about $2000.00.
    Ah the Club.
    I see this year Farmers Edge I think has Weather stations built into there fee.
    So my question to the network of farmers what have others used and what works and what is a total waste of money and time.

I would like to have 3 set up on our different farms. Remote, Why three because the Flats freeze hard in spring and fall. Higher ground has different climate and the yard well its just our yard.

So lets hear what works and what is a waste of time. No The deere one is not happening.

When it freezes I just go look and see how bad it froze?
    If I had a thermometer there freezing wet at minus 3 is different than freezing dry at minus 3.

Comment

http://www.davisnet.com/weather/uses/agriculture-solutions/agricultural-remote-weather-station.asp

Comment

Did the Club say, "APRIL FOOLS DAY" after they gave you that quote? The weather staion better be real good...otherwise who the **** do they think they are? Preying on blind dedication.....!

Comment

Rider in 2002 and then again in 2004 when it froze our garden in the yard didn't freeze at all the wheat just out side the yard didn't freeze we have a yard on a plateau. But the flats by town froze so hard the wheat yielded at 10 or less. Our higher elevation land was way better.
          Info is a tool in your tool box.
          Now Deere wants your wallet.

Comment

farming isn't that bad if you can afford 11,000 for something to tell you that you should go check your field of which you re likely not going to know much about until a few more times checking later. But I guess it is a starting point. I have my outside thermometer at home and yes frost varies but I ve come to know my land fairly well and I know when it hits a certain temperature at home I better be checking different spots for sure. I think it was 11.99 on sale.

Comment

There is way too much money in the world. Wow.

Comment

For that price, does the Club weatherstation have yours hooked up to their network and you pay to be on it... yet they take the info from the network you paid to be on and sell it to other interested parties.

Your station location is of no value though...

Comment

For $50.00 you can get a Bios..put it on a post, it recalls max and min temps..Few more $$ there is one that records rain fall amounts to..

Comment

be careful sf3 , talking like that , you will be kicked outta the club , and you can't get back in , lol. sad thing is they are all f$&king us . case sells the exact same knife drive as the one from combine world , case $3500 , 6 month warranty , combine world $1500 , 1 yr warranty . everything they sell for case is a lot less than case or honeybee

Comment

Maybe they will cut you a deal for $10,000 if you buy a $700,000 tractor - lol

Comment

I am sure, they will throw 3 in on a $700,000 deal.

Comment

SF3, seems the conversation on this thread is about collecting data, meaning that, these so called weather stations are/will give you information about what has already happened. It's history, old news! I suppose it may have some value if you have a frost in the spring and you have spraying to look after. A radio shack digital thermometer with hi and low memories could do that, how much would 20-30 of those cost?
                          The point I'm making is that I think the money would be better spent in forecasting. Getting a handle on hi and low temps forecast, humidity, wind speed and direction forecasts. Does the expense JD one offer predictions for weather the following day, will/can it forecast rainfall for the next day? If it can forecast and is accurate, maybe it's worth the money.
                          Does Drew et al offer personal forecasts as local as ones own farm, or specific to a single R.M.?

Comment

I agree , we desperately need better 10 day forecasting than we need to know what happened yesterday. Most critical in our area from the 15th of May till the 2nd week of June. Every area will be different. But in western Canada that is a very critical time.

Comment

....you mean a forecast made Thursday before a long weekend has no chance of real change until everyone gets back to work at EnviroCanada on Monday... or Friday to Tuesday of a long weekend...!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...