• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OK...Is this not the PLAN

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK...Is this not the PLAN

Alternate sources of energy are so far out from being currently price competitive that until fossil fuel prices rise significantly those solar and wind sources will remain insignificant energy sources.

Is the plan not to use taxes and deliberate infrastructure roadblocks from multiple special interest groups to indeed force that changeover; and make them competitive at any cost.

Nuclear energy is apparently a non starter. Cold fusion and magnetic seed treaters need a whole lot more hype the second time around; and perpetual motion hasn't yet been demonstrated to work.
    And until the winter night hours become a lot brighter then there will continue to need to be a fair deduction from the maximum solar panel output on a daily basis. The same significant realistic calculation for wind energy output; and generating efficiencies and transportation losses.

As the coal fired carbon capture project demonstrates; you just can't necessarily trust someones optimistic hopes and dreams. Maybe there is the same type of problem with a sour natural gas processing plant just on the Sask side of the US border.

Does it actually work??

Certainly not saying all these new ideas shouldn't be tried...but it hoped we all will only settle for seek viable sustainable outcomes.

I doubt Canada can survive this idiotic green energy program. Canada is a cold, isolated country and expensive, unreliable energy is not the way forward. Today Trudeau starts a program of burying our children in debt after Harper left the books in not bad shape, that they will have no way of servicing and will end like Greece or Venezuela. Canuckistan is doomed.

Comment

No doubt trudeau is adding debt but what was harper doing a few years back after winning a majority ?

Comment

I agree when we have two seasons summer and winter. 6 months each. We heat our homes for 6 months. Some months like January with min sunshine furnace is running most of the day.
        Yea he is a genius.
        We produce 2% of the worlds carbon yet were going green.

Comment

This is all in our brains... we can do anything we put our minds to. enjoy family, build a strong community... we leave this life with what we came with... preferably leaving the earth in better shape for our grandchildren! All the Best... this will be interesting!
          Cheers!

Comment

ATV and snowmobile manufacturers will see massive growth. Harper tightened the strings on Indian giveaways. Many suffered and were left driving older models. Many were laughed at by white men driving newer models. It was truly a terrible point in Canadian history. Fortunately, Trudeau will correct this injustice and earmark several billions for Indians, under the guise of education and water quality. Many 2017 models will be preordered and the Indian nation shall be at peace again. Suicides and homicides may actually go down.

Comment

Oooo. 15444....Ouch!!!

Lastest conspiracy theory circulating is "Big Oil collapses the price of oil to make alternative energy sources even less competitive and cost efficient"

Pick a tin foil hat you think best suits the statement.

Good thing "Big Brother" knows whats best.

I like Oneoff's comment.... lead by example already. Start by turning off the A/C this summer and turning down the thermostat next winter. And while you're at it turn off all those ****ing lights in the city that dont need to be on 24/7/365...

Comment

I was in Shanghai China about 4 years ago. We went to the outskirts to tour a couple of factories. It was basically dark driving back into the heart of the city. No lights on except the little red ones on top of the sky sc****rs. It was really unusual, kind of like a ghost town. I think the population was 33 million at the time.
                Another point was, in the "country"' there were majority delapitated government owned townhouses where the field workers lived. Each one of them had a solar water heater with some kind of a reservoir on the roof. That's all they get for hot water! If you don't want to work in the field, give up your roof and some one else will do it!
                The other thing I noted was alot of crazy, creepy food at the store. After a bit of thought I realized, there are 33 million people competing for food, water heat. You eat what is in front of you.

I always like the idea of harnessing solar energy to offset regular electric costs. The concept is smart and we have a lot of space to incorporate it. I have a spot all picked out for a big bank of panels 15 feet x 120 feet long. They could just sit there for decades. I have seen a bank of panels like this, the guy bought it purely as an investment. I never did any research on the costs or ROI on such a project. I have it in my mind that it's very expensive and doesn't pay for itself but I never looked for the facts.
                There is a windmill setup by an electrician on the outskirts of Shellbrook. He is extremely disappointed in it. He was not quite as polite with his opinion.

Comment

And you may be equally as disappointed with solar panels when you attempt to run that aeration fan...or air compressor...or even deep freeze or refrigerator and certainly not an air conditioner or heater or.....

And when you buy that battery (s) and factor in losses and inverters and so on you'll see why it was such a bargain to pay an electrical bill.

Oh how often will that stray hail storm pop up; or winds check out what a 120 foot sail can withstand?

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                    And while you're at it turn off all those ****ing lights in the city that dont need to be on 24/7/365...
                    Same with all the prairie farmsteads with a light on a pole outside the house, another by the bin yard, several in the corrals. First thing I did when I moved - remove all the unnecessary light bulbs.

Comment

I used to look out front window at farm and see many many farmyard lights near and far. Now I can count them on 1 hand and most are in the distance.

There must be stats somewhere of how much rural power usage has changed over years. Bin fans are likely biggest users now.

Comment

Gee grassfarmer, one small city has more lights than all the farmers in western canada!

Comment

Few guys here have more lights on than they need, we pay our own power bills without the ability to pass on any wasted electical expense to customers.

The "excess" on farms would pale in comparison...

I think those that pay their own bills without the ability to pass on extra costs are far more conscientious of their expendatures and look for places and ways to save a dollar.

Comment

Why showcase your stuff to the thieves while you sleep? The first thing I did when I moved back to the farm was ditch that stupid yard light.

Eff'em they can bring their own illumination.

Comment

we have 7 yard lights , shut all off but one except for harvest . . I just figure they will last 10 times as long that way ., and save some power . some farms are lit up so much don't know how they can sleep at night . we're doing our part , why don't these f$&king cities do theirs

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...