• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guns

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guns

Looking into getting a decent varmin rifle.

I was taught & grew up shooting large game with a British .303... but am looking for a small calibre rifle to shoot gofers, badgers, and other varmin... and if need be to put a horse down.

A .303 is NOT a close proximity weapon.....

Was looking at either a 10/22 Ruger LR22 or a Savage .17 WSM....

Which is a lower recoil, user-friendly rifle, something the MRS could use also...

I know, this is completely different topic, eh?

Well a .22 is a great gopher gum and definitely the cheapest to shoot. It will kill all you stated if shot properly. In saying that I'm looking at getting either a .204 or .223. I just want something with a little more punch for a long range shot on a coyote. I'd prefer one of these over a 17 hmr. .223 will be cheaper to shoot Than the .204.

Comment

.22lr is not enough for coyotes or badgers. I wouldn't recommend a sub caliber like a .17 HMR or .17 WSM as the bullets are light for long range shots ( I find the wind here moves them too much.). Also, ammo for the .17's gets scarce in some stores. .204 Ruger is wonderful as it's a flat shooter and easy on the nerves. Again, ammo for the .204 isn't often in the local hardware.

My recs are either a .22 magnum or a .223. Preference for the .223. There's a decent supply of cheaper surplus fmj ball ammo for practice, it's easy on the shoulder and there's a wide variety of bullet choices depending on what varmint you're after.

Comment

22 magnum is what i use with a 3x7 scope.

Comment

Nothing wrong with a 10/22 as long as you stick to the factory 10 round rotary mags. For similar money I prefer the heirloom quality of a CZ tack driver in 22LR. For yotes and such Tikka T3 lite in .223 way to go.

Comment

If you want a gun to put down a horse and coyotes over 50 yards away go with the .223 or larger.

I have a Ruger 10/22 which is a great smaller gun to have for squirrels, raccoons, magpies, etc.
            For the Ruger you can buy all kinds of banana clips or aftermarket stocks or any part.
            Cheapest gun to shoot and you can get Federal .22 shells anywhere.

Another option which is less common is a .22mag although would be 4-5 x more expensive to shoot vs a .22LR.

Comment

wife dont like guns but showed her how to use my single shot single action cooey 22, safest gun ever made unless your a squirell.

Comment

For a horse at 50 yards a .223 is not suited for the job. Same reason its illegal here to use on deer. Its said the US military made the switch from 7.62x51(.308) to much less powerful 5.56(.223) partly because an injured soldier removes 2 soldiers from a battlefield while dead soldier only one. A .308 hollow point or bigger calibre would be the humane route on a badly injured wild horse.

Comment

.308 and .223 are both NATO rounds and there will always be ammo or at least lots of brass at a somewhat better price than odd ball .cal. .223 would be my recommendation for you as the closest you will come to an all round multi purpose .cal, decent recoil and still some hitting power, but like someone said above full metal jackets are cheap target and military purpose rounds but not for killing varmin.

Comment

I have a 204 savage with a heavy barrel, unbelievable accuracy , but way to heavy for any practical use . ammo is expensive . I also think a 223 is best practical gun for anything from beavers to coyotes to moose . lots have been shot here with a 223 . ammo is very cheap and in every store . I wanna get one , just haven't got around to it . I think a 223 is legal for hunting big game in sask ? not sure tho

Comment

no 223 is not 243 is the min legal calibre

Comment

I have always used 222 ,50 gr bullet and reload my own amo for about .25c/round I like it for coyotes as it dosent blow them all to hell so less sewing if you are selling hides,I have a 243 as it is legal hunting cal but for moose you want to be pretty close and use 100 gr its got fair recoil

Comment

Go with a .22 centerfire. .22-250, .223, .222., .204. Or, if you want deer as well, get a .243. Good gun for deer size game and yotes and such.

Comment

You probably know you can get a 10/22 look alike in .223 called a ranch rifle.
                            Not real accurate but easy to carry and great for spray and prey if you just want to move the coyotes over to the neighbors.
                            Went to Vietnam as the M14 in the early 60's.
                            Fun litle gun. Can't loose on the investment.
                            Can't have too many gun !!??

Comment

The mini 14. I really like mine. It's the new one with the tapered barrel. It's a lot more accurate than the earlier mini 14s. If the Zombie Apocalypse comes I'm ready. Good on varmints too.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...