• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chicks at $8.00 a piece

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by agchat View Post
    Freewheat:

It has probably been thirty five years that I have sold eggs off the farm. One thing I am surprised about is when you say that you let your chickens free range. When we sold eggs, I would say at least seventy five percent of our customers would not buy dark yokes, so we kept ours penned. Got to the point I myself did not like the dark yokes. Lol funny how the mind can play tricks.
    The consumer today has a far better understanding of what's good for them agchat. Thirty five years ago they were just quitting butter and starting on the margarine craze ON THE ADVICE OF SCIENTISTS AND DOCTORS! That's why it drives me crazy to see the consumer continue to be labelled as stupid and uninformed and that they should just trust the SCIENTISTS AND BIOTECH COMPANIES as they know what's best .... yeah well, didn't do so well last time around.

Comment

I agree with grass farmer , I spent most of my younger years think of beer , smokes and women. The rest of the time I just wasted.
      I dont know when it happened , but Young people are getting a handle on what they are supposed to be eating. Im not well skilled about it myself but talking about hemp protein one day with a 20 ish year old guy and he knew he needed x amount of protein per day for his body weight , so there was whey powder and eggs and oatmeal in his diet. He was buying eggs from a farmer like freewheat. I asked why were store eggs less desireable. He said he would rather pay for "naturally made" eggs instead of feed ration barn raised eggs. Ummm....ok!
      I recall some guys I went to university with, would troll the McDonalds and buy as many little cheeseburgers for $0.99. Or maybe less . I think it was Foggy and O.T. not exactly sure anymore.

Comment

Nothing wrong with trapping and skinning. There is money there if you want to do the work. I have a couple of neighbors with real good jobs who still trap in the winter. Part of it is the money and the other part is the outdoors and exercise.

There were some highlights from expo west, one of them was plant based protein. Pea protein, hemp protein , bean protein etc. Murad Al Katib stands to make another fortune!

Comment

Hey hobby. On an average year what percent of your total acres that you farm don't produce grain for sale because its tied up in perennial forage or some sort of plow down?

Just trying to understand. Kinda off topic.

Comment

Hypocritically i just went to dq to grab dessert for the family,seen four or five obese 30 something mothers walk out and thought what the **** is going on,same as when i goto the beach.

I'm not judging these people,but i think their bodies are actually starving,its saying eat eat eat we need more vitamins and minerals and all their getting is carbs so the whole metabolic system goes hay wire.

Sort of like dehydration with people who drink water all the time not relizing its the minerals/electrolytes,which if you have seen the movie idiocracy was the inside joke not one in a hundred thousand could pick up.

Somebody is going to make a fortune on magnesium fertilizer some day.

Comment

Empty calories, the same as the cows on the super high yielding gmo corn. Junk food for cows, no wonder guys are running into fertility issues with livestock on gmo rations.

Comment

Farma, its the old 1/3-2/3 rotation. plowdown, always with a legume, either peas, yellow blossom sweet clover , or faba beans, hemp on plowdown, oats on hemp stubble. A low stress rotation IMO would be plowdown, oats , feed barley. Nothing fancy, and usually enough crop to pay the bills. Like the average canadian citizen, I am usually spending 1.6 times more than I earn and think its not a problem!

Comment

Peas ever look too good to plow down and tempted to harvest? I realize its the N you're after, harvesting the peas would remove quite abit of the fixed N. No wheat or flax?

All long as you have enough money to pay the bills, too much more would only be wasted on the wife and kids anyway.

Comment

Nutrient density is the next panacea...

protein...oil content are already obsolete.

Look at the g&o nutrient profiles over the past 10 years then start to ask questions.

You may not like the answers...

Comment

Originally posted by tweety View Post
                      I don't know, pretty content here laying in the sun at 90 F with no stupid chickens to take care of.
                      90F is way too hot for me. Laying in the sun is boring as heck. I much prefer looking after my stupid chickens and contributing to society.

Comment

I'd take freewheat as a neighbour over any wiseguy everytime!

Comment

Originally posted by wiseguy
                          Free ! It was 95 F today ! Beautiful day on the beach ! Keep contributing to society and make sure to give a percent to the church on Sunday !
                          I hate heat like that!# glad you enjoy it!# I do not like beaches either, quite boring and I am not a sitting still kind of guy!# We are signed up with direct deposit with our church, so our community and world outreach can continue!# You should see what my money does for the poor in Honduras where our missionary goes!#

Hatebeacheshateheat#

Likesingledigitswouldratherbuildfences#

Comment

Lets face it.

Not more than a relative handful of North American people (with mainly some kids trying to be trained to do the work) are going to go to the trouble of raining a few chickens,ducks or geese or eggs.

And sur there is some pride and good eating involved.

But the big picture is "will the masses pay 20-25 dollars a bird" or significantly higher egg prices; or does this topic really pertain to those with excess dollars and a mindset that; to those persons; they would pay double or triple without so much as an additional thought.

Now does such thinking extend to outside that larger subset of the human population which does have to divide their income to meet all their living expenses.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                            • Return to Topic List
                            Working...