• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Land Values

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grassy if you think farming "up north" in the swamps with the closest vet or auction mart 2 hours away no infrastructure no schools hospitals or services "opportunity"... wow.

Agree with sf3 lots of deals still out there... but everyone always hears the top dollar deals cause they are sexy news.

Comment

Klause, i'm a rancher. In simple terms cost per cow place in northern Manitoba will be some of the lowest in the politically stable world right now even after factoring in the distance disadvantage. Traditionally the rancher has always been drawn to the frontier - the places where the the land, the water and the grass are cheap or free. The solitude is a bonus to many, distance from cities, McDonalds and Walmarts another bonus. I personally have zero interest in the driving job you do - no amount of money could make me do that. Each to their own, it takes all kinds.

Comment

grassfarmer,

You're being lulled into falsities... Experience is the greatest teacher.

Northern manitoba (well, that's a misnomer... our place in MB was further south than our farm here in SK, but that was almost the end of civilization) has very short grazing seasons relative to where you are, SW SK, or AB. Winters are far colder, longer, and harsher.

Hay yields less, grass is way lower quality (the more water where grass grows, the lower the feed value, because of the types of grasses that grow).

Pastures need to be bush hogged or sprayed every 5 years or so, to keep willows and other shrubs from overgrowing them. Fences don't last as long.

I realize living away from civilization is great and all, but if you're trying to raise a family, kids need school... doctors...

On the bright side, yes in summer grass grows insanely... you have firewood galore (which is your only affordable form of heat)

Again, maybe it is an opportunity for some, but it isn't all rosey.

How's the moisture situation where you are? Friends out by Killarney are saying it's gonna be a really dry spring?

Comment

Klause you are underestimating my secret weapon. We have a cow breed that excels in that environment and will eat all the stuff you are talking about brush-cutting or spraying. Been selling some bulls up into that country for a while now and the cattle are doing well.

On the moisture front we finished last fall extremely dry with dugouts/sloughs maybe at a 10 year low by what some locals tell me. They have only recharged about 50% over winter so less in them now than there was last July. Had close to 3/4 an inch this week between rain and snow, would welcome much more. Nothing that a couple of wet weekends wouldn't remedy though and it's early enough in the season not to be worrying yet.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...