• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

4 calves! Not every day.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The cow releases the eggs....bully only supplies the fertilizer. So twins(multiples) born that aren't identical are a result of multiple eggs. Twins(multiples) that are considered identical are a result of a single egg splitting and creating multiples.

I don't know if a bull which is a result of multiple births can pass on the ability to his female offspring to be apt to twin...

Heifers born as a twin to bulls can sometimes be freemartins(sterile females twinborn with males).

Can anyone confirm, or elaborate?

Comment

Twins can be found more often in certain breeds of cattle so there is genetics involved.not sure you would want to breed for twins as it is very hard on the cow and can create much more work for the farmer.Cows may breed later for the next year or cows can end up moving around real slow by the time they deliver.

Comment

Heifers of twins are about %90 likely to be infertile...free martin.
        Twins, multiples are more likely to be tangled up, sometimes mamma likes one more than another....a few good cows do a good job on twins...I would much rather have singles than twins, in a purebred operation at least.

Comment

Yeah, I remember presentation problems. Then if mama has enough milk for two mediocre calves or one good one. Yip, rebreeding issues... We had simmental cross that seemed to twin more than some others.

These quadruplets make a good story though.

Is there "something in the water" in the Weyburn area that would cause the deformities? Never had anything like that on our farm.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...