• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Analysis of Alberta $3B Carbon tax plan

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Analysis of Alberta $3B Carbon tax plan

Quote from Metronews.ca from a few hours ago concerning todays announced Alberta $3B carbon tax collection plan.

A climate change plan, introduced last year, is to be given regulatory teeth with legislation that will include a new broad-based carbon tax to begin Jan. 1.

Notley said Albertans will learn in the budget the cost details of the carbon levy.

The carbon tax, which is estimated to bring in $3 billion a year, is to be on everything from gas at the pumps to home heating and electricity bills.

The government estimates 60 per cent of Albertans will receive some level of rebate.

Unquote.

Have the rest of the readers figured out the definition of "revenue neutral" and "rebates".

I think it could well mean that those who have "environmental plans" that dovetail nicely with government initiatives will be front and foremost qualifiers amongst the designated 60%.

And it could be very well that just as strong CWB support gave good potential rewards to those who didn't even have readily visible significant interests in CWB involment in their farm operations and marketing...and yet those were the persons who cried hardest and longest about its demise.

It could well be that some supporters of carbon taxes have plans to collect as much or more than they will contribute.

Is that how one lives off others instead of contributing their fair share?

Apparently its a way of economic survival for some businessmen; but also like Quebec; not even being appreciative of where "3Billion dollar" tax grabs come from.

And if it is revenue neutral (whatever that is)....then Alberta is pprojected to have a meager $10 billion deficit.

Also could be higher I suppose. Would that be suprising?

Comment

Even if human-activity CO2 emissions influenced climate, keep in mind that Canada produces less than 2% of the world's carbon dioxide while China produces almost 25% - and has no intentions of trying to reduce it.

China's year over year increase is almost EQUAL to Canada's TOTAL CO2 production!!!

So tell me again how much difference it will make if Canada actually would reduce it's production by 30%? While destroying its own economy?

Furthermore - "Some in the U.S. and elsewhere have doubted whether leaders in China and other countries would be able to provide accurate information about their countries’ emissions, further complicating an agreement." (Time)

Forrest had a line for that -

[URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt9q-WChfeM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt9q-WChfeM[/URL]

It's what you get when Leo DiCrapios, drama queens and *****s run the country...
      Last edited by burnt; Mar 9, 2016, 06:52.

Comment

Why don't they scrap the Co2 program and just charge an Oxygen use program to charge every living thing with how much oxygen we breath and plants use.

We already pay an enviro fee on 1/2 the junk we buy. Should be paying on it all because it is all junk anyways.

Comment

FURTHER EXAMPLES OF HOW THINGS "WORK"???

So now there is a growing network of provincial carbonschemes. Whats the fat chance of Quebec allowing a single Federal government tax. Or Alberta or BC etc.

So we'll have at least two carbon taxes most provinces when the Federal parallel tax comes int place???.

Look at how the regional waste management garbage collection evolved in Sask. municipalities

You know....all based on the polluter must pay...tag-a-bag crap and hauling a bag of household garbage 30 miles round trip before it stinks.

Well it evolves out that RM's pay half you garbage dumpster fees per month; or everybody gets free tag; or unncontrolled garbage dumpsters are provides to half of residents; or saddest comment that if you knew how few tonnes of garbage were collected at the retention site you would be appalled at the actual tax payer cost for a fraction of garbage actually put through the retention site. In practice there are municipal funded retention sites and private convenient dumpsters in a parallel system.

And dumpster trucks putting thousands of unnecessary miles hauling everything 50 or miles on top of a very few taxpayers delivering a plastic bagful.

Idiotic; but not a thing can be changed because of vested interests....conventions every year for the commissioners and per diems for some elected official at the public trough.

These schemes have nothing to do with efficiency and common sense and problem solving.

Comment

These "$500,000 recycling trucks" put on hundreds of miles driving from village to village and can't get a full load of scrap paper, plastic jugs, deer carcasses, pine needles, grass clippings and used kitty litter. Such valuable commodities for $1000's of dollars a day. Where did the government economists train, Bangladesh?

Comment

There is an old saying that applies here. Those who shit in their own water lead a short and shitty life!

Comment

First off Chuck2 a carbon tax has nothing to do with cleaning up pollution it is supposed to curtail the burning off fossil fuels. As for shitting in your own water I will leave that to the cities of Montreal and Victoria!

Off topic sorry, as for Alberta's carbon tax, the NDP are going to use it to pick winners and losers in industry. So far the NDP talks about economic diversification but all I have heard is about further processing of bitumen and natural gas. With over 100000 Albertans losing their jobs and more losing jobs every day making everything we do more expensive is imo counterintuitive. It seems the majority of Canadians think that government can solve all our problems, time will tell. History has shown most government back businesses fail. As I stated before the government is going to spend billions to move the timetable of the end of coal fired power up about 10 years on a planet that has existed for millions of years all in hopes of getting the tree hungers to let's us build a pipeline. Enviros do not want any pipelines it won't matter what we do. Have a good day:-)

Comment

Hamloc, read the case made by the U of C school of public policy authors in my later posts.

Comment

oneoff, so true! The dumpster truck comes once a week whether you have two bags in it or 50 bags. You can't arrange pickup when you need it, doesn't matter if your yard is soft and muddy, or you have to move snow on a cold day, they're coming.

Wait till they add a surcharge to cover the carbon tax they have to pay on all the fuel they burn, while running around the country picking up a couple bags here and a couple bags there. They're not going to absorb that TAX as a matter of doing business, unlike farmers.

Comment

So Chuck2 is that the post where admit that Alberta's carbon tax is a progressive tax designed to tax the wealthy and give rebates to lower income Albertans? The Alberta carbon tax is an income redistribution scheme plain and simple! Have a good day:-)

Comment

There's another saying "all shit stinks and Jackie Onassis's fart are a lot like anyone else's.

And I look at oil wells and pipelines and recycling projects on my land or your land or anyone else's in the world in exactly the same vein.

And I would attempt to hold absolutely anyone to the same standards as what they might expect of me.

Get the picture...or not

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...