• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

on the move

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

on the move

aside from a few gliches sask is still on the move. oil thermal plants coming on stream at edam and vaune. helium plant down south. sask will be leaps and bounds ahead. we have come a long way from land banks, state run potatoe and hog farms.

Without a significant improvement in the price of oil, it is doubtful Husky has the money to go ahead with construction on the other proposed projects so it will be a while before we see them. Hopefully Wall is not putting tax dough into them. Unlike AB not screwing around with a royalty review right now is very helpful.

Comment

hahaha! that's too funny sask is in good shape?

everything from drug crime to mental break downs are on the steep rise.
      estevan and weyburn are basket cases
      not being reported coccain is paying the truck payments its sad.

reality is being hidden until after the election.

Comment

Ajl

Bradley Wall put 11 million into the pockets of 2 guys that the department of highways could have paid 205acres x 9000 or 1.845 million thru the expropriation process.

Yeah like he won't get buffaloed on some schemes disguised as make work projects.

The ****ing moron.

Comment

The highways thing hits home for us.

My Wife's parents live along what will now be Highway 16.

They have 1 quarter here, grow some grain, pasture their pet horses... and live there... (remember, they farm down in Abbey, but Darcy's Mom works in the city).

Anyway, the highway cut right through their quarter, it's less than 100 yards from their house, filled in a slough so now all the water runs into the yard, and their house is 150 yards from the 4-lane highway.

This is right outside of Clavet... Highways "appraised" it based off of land values in North Battleford... and offered them a whopping 60K. They won't buy out their yard even though they've completely f**ed it...

Yet somehow 11 mil in Regina is doable, eh?

Comment

Klause

Just curious .... would you vote for the saskparty after that?

Comment

Unfortunately, yes... because the only other choice is to vote for a party that wants to bring in guaranteed minimum income.... Carbon tax.... "social licencing" for farmers... and the list goes on.

As all political parties there's corruption in the Saskparty... but I can't bring myself to vote for the NDP.

Comment

That's an honest answer. Thanks.

Comment

Ndp , sorry i mean spudco, cost 35 million . Just saying.

Comment

And just wait until the saskparty subsidizes a 110000 acre irrigation project again.

They will justify it by economic diversity although any new participants will be on the government tit much like the spudco deal.

Except that it will be like the GTH land deal and portrayed as the open market working. But still government backed.

Comment

They might need more irrigation then that this year! I hope not but........

Comment

Bucket, the bi pass doesn't sit well with me but I think you are way off base with the irrigation comments. Not choosing the overland canal option and irrigation would be a huge mistake. Take a drive through southern Alberta sometime and look at the prosperity and economic activity that irrigation has brought to that area. Many more benefit other than the individual landowners.

Comment

Nudge How much of the cost of irrigation in alta is covered by those benifiting from it and how much is the taxpayers share?

Comment

The canals have been there a long time. Water users pay a fee for the water. I would assume that operation and maintenance is basically covered by that Think about the benefits. Canola seed industry, vegetable production, sugar beets and processing, intensive livestock grazing, reliable silage production for feedlots....just to name a few. Then think of all the support industries to those areas, and the service industry jobs to support it all. I can't really think of a better place for govt to spend taxpayer dollars.

Comment

Nudge

It will cost over 5000 dollars per irrigated acre to get the water just to the quarter line. Then the farmer has to pay another 150000 to get the pivot up and running.

Close to 800000 per quarter just to grow what? Potatoes at 3200 gross an acre won't even pay the interest let alone a ROI.

Maybe the government should own the land and pay the farmer 8 to 5. Instead of making them government subsidized millionaires.

The 110000 acres will cost a minimum of 100 an acre just in operating cost per year.

But of course the taxpayers are to build the infrastructure for the 40 to 100 guys for free.

The last line of the executive study said something to the effect that farmers could not generate enough income over traditional dry land farming to afford more than a fraction of the capital costs.

Just google ... south qu'appelle irrigation project study by UMA.

And read the executive summary.

There is more than just a few farmers in this province that could use a capital injection for their farms like that.

And every new business will ask for government money as well.

Meanwhile 25000 dryland farmers get ****ed.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...