• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Snow on the ground?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snow on the ground?

Went to Saskatoon last weekend. Not a whole lot of snow out there. We are knee deep here in the open field. Lots less than normal, but for us that is great.

I saw pics of Regina on a news item, and they had what looked like NONE.

What is it looking like in your area? Just curious if we again are the only ones with pure white conditions.

I m not sure how there isn't concern about drought in the areas that were dry last year more south from here?

Comment

Looked at yard cam form here and we still have snow at the farm! Funny fields Kelly harrowed are still white. Now yes Regina or maybe more like the QUAPPELLE valley south no snow all way to BC.
      For us it should be nice seeding for once. But as wet as we were going into freeze up one snow and were pooched in April or May!
      Now breaking land to seed in Alberta i would be worried! West sask lentils like it dry but no rain? What hope for smoke again all summer!
      Markets better take note a large areas weather hasn't changed! But they will tell the world millions of acres were seeded it has to grow in Dust! Sort or like the foreign dude who has to get rent on the land under water to make his purchase make sense! Ah don't rent it for a few years and see how smart the guy really is.

Comment

Could get interesting...
        A good swath of Alberta and western Saskatchewan is rated dry for soil moisture

Regina and SW Mar 8, 2015

Click image for larger version

Name:	Regina and SW Mar 8 15.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	764874

Regina and SW Feb 23, 2016
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Regina and SW Feb 23 16.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	764875

Comment

It's not over yet..... month of possible winter yet. 4-5 weeks to seeding after that (this corner). Fat-lady may be warming up. Too early to say much.... but I don't like the "trend".

Comment

We were down to about 20% ground cover a couple of weeks ago - had a refresher since then so it's white again but not deep. Water pooled in low spots after the thaw and ice lots of places.
            Freewheat, It's a novelty for me coming from an area with similar winter snowpacks to you to an area where you can actually drive around the fields in winter with a truck! I'm still worrying about too little moisture but the Lerner models are showing it being the west getting off to a dry start again.
            Braveheart how is this for normal winter snow pack around here?

Comment

Right now fields are somewhat bare. Yards are pretty clear. Feeding cows is a dream, out on the plains, putting down litter where we normally can't/don't go.

Snowshoeing sucks. I was going 5 days a week and now back to just hiking with ice grippers on.

Comment

Grassfarmer, this is normal for an El Niño. Some years though a BIG mfwd tractor won't negotiate the fields. We can be very variable.

Comment

Patchy snow cover here, some fields have a nice cover with afew bare patches and others more patchy. But it would hardly be ankle deep anywhere. If no more comes....there will be little run-off if any.

Comment

Just got back from a Ski-Doo trip..Every thing north of Rose Valley has more snow than we have..Few areas have about the same as us..No canola stubble can be seen..that is the gauge we go by..

Naicam/Melfort/Wapiti/Nipawin/Arborfield/Mistatium/Porcupine...

Comment

Thinking about harrowing bale grazing areas next week......not much just south of Edmonton...

Comment

Saw a gopher yesterday as well....who needs a ground hog?

Comment

Good snow here , excellent sledding
                          We will have a fair amount of runoff

Comment

Trucker told me someone working a field around Let bridge today.

Comment

If it's warm on the weekend I might try knocking down some cat tails. No snow here.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...