• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

malt/feed barley spread?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

malt/feed barley spread?

whats the spread on the praries?
    Currently in Australia malt 1 is $305/10 and feed barley in $195.

These are my local port prices.

Malt has come back a tad from harvest high which was around $316 vicoria and wa prices I think are higher.

Spread is about the same. Some quotes lately are
    275/tonne for 2 row malt and 173/t for feed.

Exports are very low this year. Smaller barley crops mean most
    is used domestically.

I would guess Vancouver prices for malt would be 380/t

Comment

Last year china bought I think between 60 and 70% of exportable feed barley. Presume most of our malt still ends up in se asia and china and japan.

Our direct marketing venture is still simmering away for this years 2016 harvest into tsingtoa. 2000 tonne 20 growers at 100t each is aim in first year will grow after that.

Grain is expensive for them to buy small parcels now wereas when single desk was around it was way cheaper they have to pay world prices plus margins and add ons, back in the old days marketing bodies cut price to get sales.

So we fit in the middle they give us above export price gets to a packer tested cleaned boxed and in china 10 days later. Payment when received at packers.

Very tight specs though.

Comment

Great Falls, Montana quotes No 1 malt at 9.50 to 10.00 per bushel, feed at 5.50 to 6.00 both $US.
        Seems awfully high since Canada price is only a little over half that in $CAD, less than half in $US.
        Any Alberta growers delivering to Montana?

Comment

Ah Hopalong, that barley price in Montana is for 100 pounds.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...