• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flax going forward

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flax going forward

China flax imports are key to Canadian flax prices. So far this year
    exports to China are down a bit. A correction on this statement:
    Actually flax exports to China are up this year, as the chart shows. Total
    flax exports to all destinations are down a bit. Sorry about that.

I don't think most producers like selling flax under 475/t these days,
    unless a guy had a bumper crop.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Flax SK Avg farm price.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	777150

Name:	China Flax exports.jpg
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	777151

Name:	2015-16 Flax movement.jpg
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	777152
    Last edited by farming101; Jan 31, 2016, 08:04.

Twelve can be had now, again. Even a bit higher fob farm to some specialty buyers. Sometimes I don't think the niche markets pay enough of a premium compared to dumping it through the grates at the terminal.

Sure wish there was a viable option for the straw.

Flax Council(?) sent out a questionnaire asking Producers what traits they would like to see in future varieties and what priorities they should place on the trait options.

Comment

farma, just wondering if you've seen the results of that questionnaire? would be interesting to look at. Can you link them, if they're out there?

Comment

Correction, it was Saskflax that put out the survey.

boarderbloke and others who may be interested, here is the link to the survey. I don't know if there is/was a submission deadline and don't know when results will be published for it either. It can also be found online in SaskFlax Development Commission's website in the link to their Fall 2015 newsletter on page 6 with online, fax or mailing instructions if you want to participate. Let your voice be heard.

[URL="https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YHPSYFH"]https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YHPSYFH[/URL]

http://www.saskflax.com/quadrant/media/Pdfs/Newsletters/151201_SaskFlax_Newsletter_Fall_2015.pdf

Comment

December 2015 saw a "container" shipment of flax to China rejected on account of false ragweed seeds. Was it just one container? When I first heard this story I "assumed" it was a cargo of flax...a big difference between a cargo and container.

farming101, shipping sure is erratic(month to month) when you only compare the two years.... some months see no shipments while others do in year to year comparisons. But I think you're right, when look at data present, taking into account there is no data for Jan 15/16(yet?) 14/15 and 15/16 are basically par at this point.

Comment

How did the container get through our quality control system?

Comment

It was a container of organic flax!!!!

Comment

farma, I did the survey in the fall, just thought maybe the results were posted somewhere.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...