• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trading land

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trading land

What does everyone thing about swapping dirt between neighbours(friends)?

I.E. I farm 2 beside 1 of neghbours, he farms 2 beside one of mine... we could trade and each farm 3 in a block, doing this in a few blocks where we both benefit by farming larger chunks in 1...

Anyone done this? How's it work?

-Chris

Good idea, more time in the field, less time on the road...

Comment

Sounds like a good idea and should make you more efficient.

Comment

I quit chasing land unless it touched something I had already.

I like your plan.

Never understood the BTOs that parade their equipment for one obscure quarter. For businessmen I never understood why they kept it.

Seriously some guys would rather swap their wife than a quarter.

Comment

Perhaps they want to change out some of their clubroot land for something better under the guise of an efficiency swap?
          Instead of rotating crops, they rotate the land.

Comment

Some of the big outfits in my area have been doing that in the past few years. It makes sense for them, probably. It helps in an area like this where land quality is fairly even across the board. Where land is quite variable it might get a little more complicated.

Comment

I like the idea if your neighbour has similar farm practice.

Comment

BUY HIM OUT!!!!

Comment

Its a great way to end a friendship, someone will fill ripped off by the time its over

Comment

Big operations rent and let stuff go if better/ closer comes up in this area. Sure makes a lot of sense. Go talk to neighbor, road time is a waste of time. A big block is sure happening NE of Watson. All fence lines are disappearing, mile square fields.

Comment

Have Seen This Before, Seen Land Switch Even Trade, Seen Money Change Hands Plus Land if Not up 2par Wit Other Piece, Seen Guys Sell Buddy Land Here n' There, Fits Better Wit There Farm, Then When Buddy Sells, Guy Has First Right Refusl on Buddy's Farm, I've Seen Everything!!!!!! I evennnn, Ohhhh Cant Say That One!!!!! And I Always Liked Farmin a 480 vs's 3 1/4's!!!!! In n' Out, Lickity Split, Corner2Corner, Push The Bush if Ya Needa!!!!!! So Ya, I Say Go4It, Works Till It Dont!!!!!!!

Comment

I've seen it done a couple of times - seemed to work out for the participants with no hard feelings afterwards and increased convenience/efficiency for both parties.

Comment

Seems that some now buy/sell/trade land more often than they change their underwear. When it is land that was homesteaded by your grandfather that land shouldn't leave your hands until they are cold and dead. It's pretty sad when 'farmers' don't care about knowing their land, only seeing it as a asset.

Don't be so progressive that you forget what your own dirt smells like. I wouldn't trade any of my land 2:1 with any neighbor.

Comment

Tucker, I know my own land good enough to possibly consider trading for something better if the opportunity ever presented itself.

You can treat two peices of land exactly the same , some dirt just has more ability to reward you for your efforts and investment in inputs. With that being said, we've made a decent living with what we have. Just a variety of average stuff(some below)

Where is the "Garden of Eden"

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                            • Return to Topic List
                            Working...