• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Little Change to Alberta oil royalties

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Little Change to Alberta oil royalties

The NDP has released their long awaited royalty review and much to my surprise they have found the existing royalties were fair. Much has been said on here blaming the previous conservative government for bending over to big oil and not charging high enough royalties. What is everyone's opinion of the reviews results? No increase in rates by the NDP, some tinkering but no real increase.

Hmm, maybe the conservatives were in the ballpark after all? Not sure what she means by giving more incentives to innovative exploration. Wait!! you mean she's subsidizing big oil??!!

Comment

I would guess that the Premier would like to have more than one term in office.
      Maybe when they do the next review they will put in a different set of investigators than the ones who brought forth these latest conclusions.
      Many studies done over the last ten years by others have concluded that Albertans had been shafted...but I suppose that doesn't matter now.

Comment

Originally posted by stonepicker View Post
        Hmm, maybe the conservatives were in the ballpark after all? Not sure what she means by giving more incentives to innovative exploration. Wait!! you mean she's subsidizing big oil??!!
        NDP is now in bed with unions AND bid bad oil companies?

Why did this review take 9 months to come up with no change and scare away investment dollars in the mean time. Oh well.......we can use the investors in Saskatchewan.

Comment

heard it today , saskatchewan open for buisness . if you don't like it in alta , come to sask !! on cbc , of all places

Comment

Saskatchewan is easy pickings for those from alberta who will easily sell their ideas to this group in regina prior to the election.

Look at what potash did to get some votes for wall after he protected them from BHP.

Comment

You guys never figured it out, that with oil around $30/barrel, and oil sands losing money, jobs being lost, it would have been very hard to raise royalties on the oil companies. There's no pleasing the posters on here, if the NDP had raised them you'd all be screaming.

The Alberta royalties are currently some of the lowest in world. Ya, StonePicker your Conservatives had it right! Keep up the cheerleading and donation cheques.

Comment

Forage if you would actually study the royalty structure a little bit you would see that when oil is high alberta's royalties are among the highest anywhere in the civilized ( democratic ) world. Alta has a complicated system, right now royalties are low because price of oil is low when oil goes up royalties go up, sounds like a pretty good way of doing things. There was no reason for the ndp to raise royalties ( and they didn't) But then again if someone says black you'll say white, right?

Comment

Well said Stonepicker!! :-)

Comment

Forage here is a quote from Premier Notley during the 2015 election"It's time for the PC fire sale of our resources to end". Funny how the reality of governing bites you in the ass! But where does that leave all the people who voted for her expecting their government services to be paid for by all those nasty oil companies?

Comment

It was a "Royalty Review" ..not a Royalty Change"...she had to eat some crow, but good for her...she did what she thought was best, it was needed.
                      Hopefully she doesn't do as many tax concessions to the oil guys, and we move on...
                      but in some eyes, she will never do any good until "their's" is back in power...
                      getting quite tired of Brian Jean's whining though....

Comment

Really Perfecho? A centrepiece of her campaign was that oil companies were stealing the oil and not paying their fair share.

I would say that convinced a lot of people to vote for her party.

So now you say "she ate some crow and it's all good".

Unbelievable. Next thing you know she will be giving everyone a raise... Oh she did that.

If you can't trust them to have researched the main point of their campaign, how can you trust anything they said.

Comment

...so I take it you are one of the sore losers....
                          Not that I am a big fan, but I can live with it. Liked that she gave it to a panel to do ,,,,I have been getting the updates, as anyone who wanted could, and I am sure it was not easy to come to this conclusion...the conclusion could have been different at a different time, but think right now, its a very delicate subject. Glad there was a process, and I got my little say in the process.
                          She was "man" enough to step up...more than I can say about some....but then, she will never do any good in some eyes, so why bother....

Comment

Think it might be for of a case of "when money talks ideology walks" as much as anything.

Comment

Repeating the NDP lie that "Albertans aren't getting their fair share" may get you elected, but it won't help your re-election when the centerpiece of your previous campaign was complete horse$#| .
                              #longmemories

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...