• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crude

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It appears there is a mindset to "wind down fossil fuels" and paraphrased "the fact is some fossil fuels will be kept in the ground".

Now just about everyone in the last decade took advantage of going on all the airplane rides they desired; spent and borrowed beyond their means and bought the toys they wanted and engaged in as many wasteful and convenient habits as anyone else.

And continue to do so; whenever borrowing power is available.

Arguably it is booming times and growth that flows from money and resources being available; and being spent and generating production; wealth and improved standards of living.

Now the bandwagon says all that is wrong and everyone must change their ways. That mindset was in place all along; but increasingly over time our leaders now seem convinced they have drastic changes hat in theory will improve our lot.

Perhaps we should ask for some proof that those calling for reduced energy use could survive without a job; in a cold climate and with additional burdens of carbon taxes, a loonie worth a 50 cent piece and no real intent to change their own lifesyle or other habits they and their families have become accustomed to.

Yet we don't see the "teachers" changing their ways; their plan is based on theories that may be flawed and methadolgy that may be premature or indeed unworkable.

I haven't completely bought in yet; and the new plan sure as heck hasn't had any visible positive effects on the stock market, job creation; the value of the Canadian dollar;.... but it appears maybe job losses; and increased stress levels in the public at large; and pretty serious public behavior and drug related acting out etc. etc are on the increase.

In fact Western Canada is headed for the deepest trouble since the Great Depression.

It appears that current government policy has rapidly deeped our economic woes and you tell me when the turn around will start to happen???

Comment

Forage, all governments can help by not imposing carbon taxes which will have the effect of kicking the industry when they are down.

Farmaholic, Everyone benefitted by the activity of in the oil patch, either directly through goods and services , wages. Hotels, restaurants, truck repairs etc.
      Indirectly we benefitted by the huge hauls in personal, corporate, and resource taxes.

Sumdum, I think fert is going to be negatively affected by the dollar and a general world economic malaise will affect grain prices negatively despite the benefit of currency.

Comment

Originally posted by LEP View Post

Farmaholic, Everyone benefitted by the activity of in the oil patch, either directly through goods and services , wages. Hotels, restaurants, truck repairs etc.
        I disagree LEP, if you lived amongst it but weren't in the industry it had a net negative affect on you. Poor or unavailable service when you needed something fixed (shortage of people due to working in oil patch and high wages) Overpriced trucking, overpriced truck and machinery repairs, long waiting times to get things done.
        Now its gone from boom to bust - as Farmaholic said "cry me a river"

Comment

Lep

The industry is down from over supply world wide. Iran is pumping it out now, and the Saudi's and Americans are going to increase production. The Canadian industry will have to compete with the rest of the world. They can start by remembering that it wasn't that long ago that it was $115 a barrel. Where's all the profit? Now the government is suppose to do something to make their lives easier. Give me a break!!! Just like a farmer learn to compete or go under. That's business, are you not in business Lep, who helps you out with these current commodity prices?

Comment

I do live amongst it. The oil patch starts a half mile north of my place. 1100 wells were drilled north of my place. They say 500 loads of something go towards drilling each well. And it all drove past my place.

Before you get jealous, I don't have a single well on my land and like it that way. I have to farm for a living.

I dealt with the entire gamut, of labour, line ups for service, no service etc in spades.

But I don't want to get the bill from government to replace the big hole in revenue that is coming. There will be increases in personal, corporate and gst coming.

Comment

**** me forage, we have crop insurance for production issues, agrastability for revenue issues and agar invest for anything in between.

Don't see anything like that in the patch.

Comment

I am not here advocating for govt money to go into the oil patch, just don't pile on when things are bleak.

You said the price is low so quit producing ... Perhaps you are saying they should exit and head to another industry, so...

Anybody on here remember the rallies in Saskatoon asking for deficiency payments or BSE? Maybe you should have change to another industry.

Comment

Forage you can be my wingman any day.

Lease hands stop asking if I want fries with that

Comment

Lep

And what is exactly is left of Aginvest and Stability, nothing. As for Crop Insurance I have never collected it. Besides I don't recall wheat being $20 a bushel a couple of years ago. Are you telling me big oil hasn't never caught a break from government on occasion.

Big oil made billions and they were all aware that oil runs in cycles, I'm sure they will survive!!!

Comment

Hope you enjoy .60 cent calves.

Comment

Cattle farmers are finally making a little money after ten prior years of crappy prices and managed to survive, and if prices drop they'll still make it work. Big oil had 6-7 great years of great prices and now your saying the government should make policies to help them compete in the world market. Very confusing!!!!

Comment

Rumour is that a Husky just canned a huge chunk of projects and jobs two days ago . This is the second round I believe .
                          I still believe that a major housing crash is here in western Canada. This screams of the 2008 housing collapse in the U.S.

Comment

Forage don't misstate what I posted very clearly.

I said no new money, and don't pile on new royalties and carbon taxes.

Comment

We have been here before.....

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The 1980s oil glut was a serious surplus of crude oil caused by falling demand following the 1970s energy crisis. The world price of oil, which had peaked in 1980 at over US$35 per barrel ($101 per barrel today), fell in 1986 from $27 to below $10 ($58 to $22 today).[2][3] The glut began in the early 1980s as a result of slowed economic activity in industrial countries (due to the crises of the 1970s, especially in 1973 and 1979) and the energy conservation spurred by high fuel prices.[4] The inflation-adjusted real 2004 dollar value of oil fell from an average of $78.2 in 1981 to an average of $26.8 per barrel.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...