• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

0.6996 Down 0.0039(0.5500%) 12:23PM EST CDNvsUSD

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hamloc.....in 85/86 the low dollar would have been the Progressive Conservative's fault..... according to some logic here.

Comment

Agree we need 7 or better for wheat and 12 for canola.

Comment

Canadian dollar February 1986 .6913 usd, the price of west Texas crude was 15.40 a barrel do you see the pattern. Harper was not running Canada in 1986.

Comment

Well where is all the wealth from the 110 barrel years? That's how it's supposed to work isn't it
          A short blip and fk you canada is oil people we re packing it in. I don't see wages lowered in the oil sector they just shut down.

Pump prices still way too high what a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamloc View Post
            Canadian dollar February 1986 .6913 usd, the price of west Texas crude was 15.40 a barrel do you see the pattern. Harper was not running Canada in 1986.
            Harper had 10 years to do something. Did nothing. His priorities and expertise was the economy. Did he move us away from oil, or closer to it?

Comment

What was he supposed to move us toward. We are a commodity based economy. We can't manufacture anything because our costs have us priced right out of the market. Who can compete with China and Taiwan and the other sweatshop style manufacturing wages? I even hate the smell of the stores that are filled with that cheap junk!!! Maybe we can make government an industry, yeah there's a real economic driver....no "new" money being earned there....just recycling what we already have. How about science and technology...anything to be earned there? Sell the world our technological advances.
              Geez...maybe we should become a munitions manufacturer...conflict is always alive and well.

Seen a news story that the traditional Middle East oil producers are still the cheapest
              producers and we are near the top of the most expensive...tar sands. And the Middle East producers are supposedly still profitable at these levels. Pissing match we're(Canada and US) losing at, or lost....

I still think we are a lucky country to be as wealthy and diverse in resources. So just what were we to focus on? How much time and space does it take to turn a huge ship around? They don't turn on a dime. Just watch the whole thing play out again and again....depending how much time you have! Maybe when things fire up again some people's "expectations" shouldn't be so ****ing high.
              Last edited by farmaholic; Jan 13, 2016, 08:04.

Comment

Well said Farmaholic!

Since 2006 Ontario has lost 300000 manufacturing jobs. Reducing manufacturers contribution to Ontarios economic output from 21% of it's GDP in 2006 to 12% today. 3 factors contributed to this, a high Canadiab dollar, lower productivity per worker compared to other jurisdictions and higher costs such as electricity and taxes. What could Harper have done? He couldn't change the value of the dollar, he could have put in place tax credits to incentivize investment in new equipment to help make plants more productive, as for electricity the Ontario Liberal government was in charge of that and we all know what happened there.

The PC government did bail out companies such as GM, Chrysler, and Bombardier none of these produce oil.

To answer your question I don't think Harper brought us closer to oil, I would say oil boomed and everything else declined, as Farmaholic said we are a commodity based economy. Creating a false economy like Ontario has tried with green energy has done nothing but create massive debt and high cost electricity.

Comment

At least there's opportunity here, and lots of it. Unlike some other countries of the world. I used to get pretty upset when these downturns came, but now I realize it's just part of the ride. Easy for me to say when I'm secure and never got a lay-off notice but it is a cold hard fact.

The most affected won't starve or freeze to death but there may have to be some lifestyle adjustments until things get rolling again...

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...