• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wheat

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheat

Seems the glutten free movement has completely take the wind out of its sails. The durum price with its fusarium issues is not very attractive either. I've never grown barley. Is shooting for malt a good alternative? Canary maybe worth trying on a few quarters. I know it can hit but also miss horribly. Is there any money left in the rotational crops?

But Tom says go for gluten strength wheat !! CDC GO is the bomb ...

Comment

Also don't forget the "wheat belly" ... For those of you who dismissed this guy he alone has had a profound effect in North America . I am still blown away why the wheat growers associations in Canada and the U.S. never sued his ass over his propaganda . Unless there is a certain truth to it ??

Comment

I would never deny there is intolerance to certain foods but I think this is another fad for hypochondriacs to latch onto. Dr.Oz said its a problem so it has to be and the Wheat Belly author has spend countless hours educating the public. (Neither motivated my the almighty dollar......all in the name of charity and humanitarianism).
        Last edited by farmaholic; Jan 11, 2016, 20:01.

Comment

You have to "Live it" to realize the effects it has on people who can not have gluten..It is like eating poison for them..It is NOT B.S.

Comment

Not saying it's bs , I know close people with it as well - just pointing out a fact . But the perception out there is killing our North American wheat market while the rest of the world chugs along is all

Comment

Partners......as I said, "I would never deny...."

Comment

some people are intolerant to shellfish , but didn't kill a whole industry ? like wheat. and are check off dollars, are they doing anything against this movement ?

Comment

furrow , right on , we are losing good varieties like unity to pay 3 times as much for high gluten varieties , that nobody f#$@ing wants ???? tom says they're only declassified , so its all good , one more feed wheat , i guess ?

Comment

to answer your question , big lentil. the problem we have with malt is the fact you can't desiccate it . we have lost more malt in the last week of its life than i like to recall . then if everyone gets a good fall it isn't worth much more than feed , really frustrating crop .canary can yield very poorly for no apparent reason some years , but we have had reasonable luck with it most years. sure is the shits to combine a swath that won't fit in a 12 ft pickup yielding 13 bpa , tho. seems no one wants oats anymore either . we have beautiful oats , no one wants to pay much for them

Comment

caseih,

Lower gluten wheat works fine in many situations... just that the good 'bang for the buck' in blending grists..[in turn] needs for higher gluten quality to upgrade lower utility domestic wheats grown in many global communities.

Comment

Yes but it is not a Fad...People do it to feel better..
                        Like not smoking..
                        Like not being mega lbs. over weight..
                        Try it for a week or 2..see if you feel better..It takes that long to get gluten out of your system..

Comment

Taking/expecting something for
                          nothing... is seductive;

Often not productive...

Comment

Ton should feel great then .... wasn't he on a hunger strike that didn't kill him.

Must have got off the gluten during that event and shed a few pounds?

Comment

Wheat research has a job to do and fast. Research and marketing can breed in a different protein and change wheats reputation, but will they, or are they in New York on a "tour". Wheat was just a cover crop in a lentil rotation for many years, but with fixed and variable costs escalating, can one afford to grow wheat?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...