• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fun with kids, basic style. Cheap too!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fun with kids, basic style. Cheap too!

I bought my kids some brass snarewire a few days back. Went out to the bush and set four snowshoe hare snares. Caught two the first night, and I was a pumped as them! We brought them home, cleaned em up, and ate them for dinner today, shake and bake style. Pretty decent eating actually.

After lunch, we headed out, checked the two that were out and had one in them. Nothing is cooler than hearing them all shreik, "we got one daddy!!!", from around the bend in the trail as they loped up ahead. Well, they then proceeded to set 14 more on their own with a bit of coaching. Anyone want some rabbit meat? Quite the underused resource in my view. Their mom is wondering WTH we need 25 rabbits in the freezer for, but hey, they make good coyote bait too.

Ahh the simple things of life, the looks on their faces as they approach their sets is priceless. My oldest daughter, 12, is right into it, and does a very precise and good job of setting snares. I think hers will be full tomorrow. My 11 yo son? Well, he is in a hurry and a bit small on his loop and sloppy in his set finish. We shall see. My 7 year old daughter was busy holding the dog, and my 6 year old boy was busy whipping trees with his willow "sword".

What a joy! The six moose yesterday and the seven today were cool to see. Kids were busy snapping pictures, but then refused to go check their snares on their own when I stopped and told them to go into the woods. lol

This is a fun life.

The simple things...

Season's Greetings freewheat. I would take a moose thank you very much. Pass on the rabbit.

Some people set traps others get caught in them(tourist traps) :-/

Comment

One word. Jealous.

Comment

Elmer Fudd would have done better with a roll of wire

Comment

That's awesome Free. Great on so many levels. Also wondering, and maybe I missed it, but did you ever get back to your canola that was out?

Comment

Sounds like healthy fun cant wait to try rabit, ultra lean from what i understand. Makes me wanna go coyote hunting rabits will thank us.

Comment

Sounds like healthy fun cant wait to try rabit. Ultra lean from what i understand? makes me wanna go coyote hunting Roger Rabit will thank us.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...