• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DTN... 2015...High Supplies, Record Production, Low Prices

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DTN... 2015...High Supplies, Record Production, Low Prices

'Top Ag News Story of 2015
    Markets: High Supplies, Record Production, Low Prices

Katie Micik DTN Markets Editor
    Bio | Blog
    Thu Dec 31, 2015 06:20 AM CST
    OMAHA (DTN) -- This year's bear market may have brought misery to farmers' profit margins, but DTN Analyst Todd Hultman offers perspective: After major bull markets such as 2012, it usually takes three years for prices to come down and rebalance.

(Illustration by Nick Scalise)
    "So here we are, 2015, we're in the third year post-drought," he said. "It's probably the most bearish part of the cycle, and we should see better stability ahead."

In other words, things may not get better, but they probably won't get worse.

A sober reflection on this year's markets will show a pattern that's far from new. Good growing weather around the globe contributed to surplus supplies. Add to it that most of our major competitors' economies struggled and currencies weakened, undercutting U.S. exports.

"I think we're going to look back on 2015 and see that it had something in common with the mid-'80s and late-'90s in the fact that we had good growing weather combined with this international problem of the currencies," Hultman said. "When those two things get together it's a very tough, bearish spiral to pull out from."

In the U.S., the only major growing problem was heavy spring rains from Missouri to Ohio. While it cut into soybean acreage, it couldn't stop the rest of the country from harvesting a record-large soybean crop and third largest corn crop. The rain also recharged soil moisture in the Southern Plains, a benefit for winter wheat producers.

Europe produced solid crops despite a heat wave. Ukraine and Russia came through with big harvests. In South America, both Argentina and Brazil produced record soybean crops.

The same countries experienced economic problems, a double whammy for U.S. growers. Europe struggled with Greece's debt problems. Russia's ruble tanked after its economy got hit by sanctions and low oil prices. Fighting and instability in eastern Ukraine hurt its currency. Brazil's gross domestic product contracted amid an oil scandal, and the real devalued dramatically against the dollar.

Hultman thinks it really was the weakness of other currencies, not the strength of the U.S. dollar, that hurt U.S. exports in 2015.

"The good growing year, the big surplus crops plus the internationals currencies tilting against us, really hit us with bigger supply and pinched our demand at the same time," he said. "The result is very tough U.S. prices."

There was a brief window -- the last week of June and first few weeks of July -- where price offered some hope for profits. December corn futures rallied, hitting a high $4.54 1/4 on July 13 on concerns that the spring's rains irreparably damaged the crops' potential. The national average cash price climbed to a high of $4.06.

"Unfortunately it didn't last long," Hultman said. "I know when it did happen, there were lines at the elevators. A lot of the people I talked to at farm shows said they did sell some that week, but unfortunately not enough."

Those prices may have faded, but Hultman thinks there will be opportunities to sell grain near or above many producers' cost of production in 2016.

"You can't sustain prices below producers' costs for a long period of time," he said. "Now that we've gotten to such a cheap level, I expect more of a market rotation. So we'll start involving both sides of the market, something we haven't really seen much of the past two years. That should mean some opportunities."

Hultman thinks 2016 is set up to be a neutral, range-bound year. Farmers aren't likely to cut back on overall acreage, and carryover supplies are large. In fact, USDA is forecasting record global ending stocks for corn, soybeans and wheat for the 2015-16 marketing year. It's hard to envision a bullish scenario.

"I think the theme is, you have got to control your costs," he said. "It's going to be a year of fighting tooth and nail. I think you're going to be scraping for nickels and dimes, and not getting big opportunities unless weather has some kind of surprise."

Katie Micik can be reached at katie.micik@dtn.com

Follow her on Twitter @KatieMDTN'

keep this in mind when some asshole tells you the world is running out of food or that we need to produce more to make a profit . kind of like shooting yourself in the foot

Comment

Grow more make more. What a F$&king crock of shit.

Comment

the farmers have done it for so long even the oil companies are trying it. buddies hauling oil around lloyd like there is no tommorrow.

Comment

S3 why would you care?

You are never in Canada for more than 8 weeks anyway

Comment

R5, I know lots of farmers that are good with their cash that travel, what does that have to do with anything?

Comment

GOODTIME,

For a very wealthy very blessed outspoken farmer... to be very negative... when he and his family have been so personally blessed...[hence the extensive public travel advisories]

It could grate on some folks... just a tad... and cause comments as posted above.

Seems Like SF4 is displaying anger at others; cause they got good yields... lowering his profit margins...

Comment

Goodtime, Tom hit some of it with his reply.

I am close to what you described and don't have a problem with it, or others. You will definitely not see me posting "cry wolf" stories.

What I can't understand is, in general, everything that is posted by S3 is negative but he strategically inserts the brag about the new drill, the fact that he has turned down the purchase of 3 new JD quads and so on and so on.

I don't get hung up on it but am amazed at how someone can be so unhappy (as his posts generally state)

And then to top is off, "its only a farm" and we all do this for nothing.

Somehow, in order to do the things he continues to tell us about, I think he has done very well or well enough to change the tone of complaining

Comment

.....in my world blessings aren't preceded with dollar signs. With that being said, I'm not willing to forfeit what I've earned by work or luck bestowed upon me.

Money isn't everything but it's a damn close second ;-)

Happy New Year everyone.

Comment

When you invest in the seed, fertilizer and input products it definitely improves the chance of growing a very high yeild and quality crops. Volume will bring a farmers through times of low prices and/or poor quality. I do not dispute this, it is happening all around me.

Comment

No wise guy , we not jealous, not much use trying to explain , jealous lol.

Comment

A wiseguy once said...

Sorry I can't remember so it must not have been important

Comment

indeed there is a mount Everest of wheat in the world currently.
                          Problem here in aust one of major wheat buyers Indonesia is importing from black sea and france way cheaper than we will supply even with our freight advantage.
                          And china usually buys 70% of australias barley has gone mia as well.

What are canadas traditional markets?

Comment

Canada sells into those same markets. According to the marketing newsletters i susbscibe to, we are selling ex vancouver at competitive prices to black sea. Our low dollar is buffering low export prices. If we were still near par with us dollar, our cash bids would be in the $4-5/bu range for top grade milling wheat. Usa farmers hurting from their strong dollar.

Comment

For your information im currently selling at $260 on farm for wheat delivered into a feed mill.

When that contract is full Monday then have 360 tonne to deliver to a beef feedlot which will return around $256 on farm, a little more freight and were are not exactly sure of distance about 100 to 125 kms away.

We target delivered market and box market rather han traditional export market which is woeful at the moment im getting more for shit wheat ar feedlot than top grade high protein wheat is priced for export.

But always been the case most days delivered market is $25 to $40 per tonne better than elevator prices, extreme days blows out to $60. Often get calls "a buyer needs 200t wheat tomorrow willing to pay" I may say sorry to hard not harvesting wheat an hour later "willing tp pay another $12" point is they are willing to pay top dollar when they have to.

Grain marketing is so different here for me than you guys, not saying its better or worse, at times its hard work though. cheers again

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...