• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Market on!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Market on!

Safeways Weekend Flier has turkeys:

Grade "A" @ $.97/lb
    Fresh Grade "A" @ $1.97/lb
    And Certified Humane Grade "A" @ $2.77/lb

last 2 prices ? voluntary tax on the stupid ?

Comment

Assume fresh grade A is not frozen.
      Some may pay double for convenience of not having to thaw, don't know how long it is safe to keep.
      Agree that paying double or triple for "humane" or "free range" or even "organic" is pretty stupid.

Comment

I toured Vancouver supermarkets last year. Their shelves had all kinds of farm branded products. Nice labels, proper packaging. The "local produced" movement is strong in that area. Its pretty cool because the people go for the independant stuff before the national big chain brand.
        It was encouraging. They have websites and information online for customers to see.
        http://www.getlocalbc.org/sustainable-turkey-guide

Comment

Its is an interesting contrast, farmers regard this as stupid and I see it as rather smart and calculated marketing.
          Some farmers can precisely figure out freight, currency exchange, and economic penalty from late deliveries. They can compare it to their cost of production and factually prove they are losing money. Then they look at another marketing model that is profitable and regard it as stupid.
          Awesome.

Comment

Not the farmers who are stupid, just smart marketing playing on consumer misconception and ignorance of science.
            Recall my first visit to a health foods store in Kitsilano during 1970's, never thought the organic movement, which was just getting started, would get to where it is today.

Comment

It is no different than selling a black truck to those that want a black truck.

I have no problem with that. Just don't try to sell more by saying driving that white truck that LEP is selling will give you cancer.

Comment

The customer is always right. Not necessarily informed or smart.

Comment

well hobby , I grew non GMO canola , can't get more than a10 cent premium here and hafta wait till June , no one wants to pay for that , just bitch about gmo's and when I see organic produce in the store from Mex or other countries with no laws , I say "wtf"? these free range turkeys could be the same . I agree with you , good marketing ! the only stupid I'm referring to is the consumer who believes there is organic produce coming from Mexico or China ? but the local farms doing the free range , organic etc , that is good , and good for them . a lot more work and they're getting paid for it .

Comment

Agreed to all.
                    I dont bash conventional farmers for what they do. I conventional farmed for 15 years. Its the same old battle it was 10 years ago. Nothing has changed. If anything, I still carry a tiny sliver of empathy for my neighbors.
                    Im just a guy who is always trying to figure stuff out.
                    The black truck comparison is most accurate.
                    I was at the hemp conference in Calgary last month. I gain most insight in the lounge over beers end of day. The table consists of myself, northern alberta conventional farmer couple and a hemp breeder frm Oregon.
                    The converstion goes to the fact that hemp food is very good nutrition for the human diet. The farmer only does a burn off then plants hemp. It never sees any other spray. Oregon guy says to them , "look, its 2015, who doesnt want organic food".
                    People want the black truck, sell them a black truck. Pepole want free range chicken beef pork eggs organic grains and they want to pay for it. Then a farmer on a public forum regards the consumer/customer...... the people with the money....as stupid.
                    All my 2015 production is priced out for profit. Bins will be empty by February 14. I have signed 60% of 2016 production for 10% higher price than 2015 with an act of God. Phone and email inquiries about what I have a available for sale 3 times a week. I dont understand why people regard this ag business model as stupid.
                    Sometimes, less is more.

Comment

Every white truck I've had was garbage!

Comment

sorry hobby , guess I didn't come across right , certainly don't think off organic as stupid . great buisness model , wished I had the guts to do it . my only question was ; are they really free range turkeys ?? and why is there organic food in Canada from Mexico ? big companies don't care about Canada or you or me , Volkswagen just proved that

Comment

Case IH, there that non gmo crusher guy from Alberta who posts in here occasionally, he usually gets beat up pretty quick. It may be worth a phone call.
                          Virtex (?) in Saskatoon crushes non GMO canola. They may be worth a phone call. I dont know either company well, its just a suggestion.

Comment

Thanks will check

Comment

CaseIH , no need to apoligize, I am incredibly indifferent to conventional farming. Everybodys trying to make the best living they can with what they know. Thankfully, its a free country, do whatever gives you contentment.
                              Part of the reason there is organic product from Mexico, China, Turkey etc is because there is not enough canada/us supply for the demand.
                              The other part is that it is less expensive, because the cost of production is considerbly less than Canada/US.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...