• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

bill c-6

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bill c-6

Can somebody explain this to me like i'm 3?what it actually means.

http://work.alberta.ca/farm-and-ranch.html

This is the Alberta government website outlining bill C-6. Number of links on the site with simplified overview of the proposed changes and how it will effect farms, including a link for small family farms.

Comment

The NDP are bringing in legislation Jan 1 to make oh&s and WCB manditory on alberta farms. They claim they are pushing it through with industry consultation yet nobody knows what farmers have been consulted. If oh&s gets its hands on farms with industry standards every farm in the province will be shut down and made criminals instantly.

Comment

Omg I hope that stays out of Sask...I think I will buy a yellow reflective vest, climbing harness and hardhat business...should do booming business in Alberta.

Comment

Cotton,

In SASK I am told you have OHS and WCB insurance... but no enforcement regs for safety are written in Sask... so the OHS can investigate accidents and fatalities... make recommendations to farmers on how to decrease risk and operate more safely.

Alberta could catch up to Sask... and run the same basic OHS operations if they chose that route.

Since no regulations are written yet for alberta... we will be in the same situation as Sask to start with... if and when Regulations for OHS in Alberta are put in place... THEN the OHSenforcements will become of concern. WCB is insurance... and like private insurance for workers in Alberta... it pays out at present when a worker is injured. Bill 6 makes WCB mandatory Jan 1 2016. April 2016 is the deadline for reporting and registering expected farmpayroll for the 2016 year... and registering by then for WCB.

Comment

So this bill should make sure that the NDP never ever get elected again in Saskatchewan.
            Why would any one vote for this!
            Alberta you made a BAD Bad BAD mistake. She will destroy the province like What happened to Saskatchewan back in the Early days of Tommy Douglas.

Comment

this legislation was coming down no matter which party was or is in government. get over it we brought it on ourselves. the small inconveniance of a little safety protocal is miniscule to the value of life or severe injury. those of you that can afford to go on five holidays a year even after whining how bad the crop was all year then pull off a wow crop should not have to worry. seven people within a two hour drive ha ve died this year. the most recent a ten year old boy at killam alta rolling a tractor off a grid road and a forty six year old man east of the battlefords eaten buy a running baler. all of these so called accidents were preventable with training and repeated safety awareness.

Comment

this legislation was coming down no matter which party was or is in government. get over it we brought it on ourselves. the small inconveniance of a little safety protocal is miniscule to the value of life or severe injury. those of you that can afford to go on five holidays a year even after whining how bad the crop was all year then pull off a wow crop should not have to worry. seven people within a two hour drive ha ve died this year. the most recent a ten year old boy at killam alta rolling a tractor off a grid road and a forty six year old man east of the battlefords eaten buy a running baler. all of these so called accidents were preventable with training and repeated safety awareness.

Comment

Hey cotton... you know that feeling of big brother telling you what to do.

Comment

fully agree binthere. 25 people were killed on Alberta farms in 2014 alone. No government is going to ignore this problem, especially when Alberta is the only province in Canada not to have some type of safety oversight/insurance/farm worker protection. This was well in the works before Notley and the NDP. Some on this forum want to self regulate. Well statistics prove Alberta farmers have been ineffective in preventing death and injury compared to regulated provinces so we will be regulated.

Comment

Had a scare with an employee myself this spring. Looking forward to some kind of coverage. But unless you've been in supervisory in other industry you might not realize the dense fog of shit rolling in.
                      And Hutterite children will still occasionally, tragically, have accidents.

Comment

as pointed out at the town hall yesterday on the bill, and I wish I could recall the specific numbers, far greater number of children died under the direct care of the provincial government than in on farm tragedies. To use the tragic deaths of young people as a political wedge is appalling. No one cares more for the safety of our farm children than the farmer parents of these children. Statistics bear out the fact that such moves will not lower injury rates in jurisdictions where they have been implemented.

Comment

dmlfarmer, have you ever supported actual farmers or are you just a schill for whatever leftist, bullshit government there is? Sheesh.

Comment

Braveheart, do I want this - absolutely not. am not supportive of it but not so narrow focused as to see why it is happening. And some form of regulation would have come in under a right wing government as well with the accidents and deaths that have occurred in Alberta in the last few years.

Comment

Governments sometimes live in their caucus bubble. Too often these days they are reactionary and create the nanny state without trying to fully understand the people, culture, history and the entire industry. This is the case with Bill c-6.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...