• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

4th snow...

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't bother combining if snow or frost in swath. You can do serious damage to your combine, and why? Unless you have a drier, leave it to April. It will still be number 1, dry, with no chance of heating. Just do not tell anyone it was spring threshed.

I have combined over Christmas holidays once though.....

Comment

A neighbor did some irrigated canola under these same conditions.He waited until it was below freezing during the day, kept the doors open around the engine compartment( Case IH 2388) and went at it. Did not break any speed records but it worked.

Comment

So nicolass, you have had good overwintered canola? I am finding it seems quite rare that it winters very well. Tell me your experience. I am scared I am going to lose it all. Many guys have said it does not winter well at all.

Also, what about the snow is so hard on the combine? If it is cold enough, won't it just blow out? Thanks!

Comment

Freewheat, I supposed all you can do is try and then you'll know if it will go through with the conditions you're dealing with. Everyone probably had slightly different circumstances. I've never had to deal with it so obviously have no "experienced advice" and just as well because, as I said, conditions probably wouldn't have been the same.

Good luck, it will be froze hard in the next while, let us know how its going. Hopefully snow stays away for you.

Take care while out there.

Comment

Someone already said every situation is different free, and I'm sure you will do whatever's best for you. I don't think snow will hurt your combine. My first hopper in /02 I had to get in the hopper to push in down to the auger. It looked kind of like an Oreo blizzard in there. Obviosly the less snow and the colder the better.I really like the the idea of opening the engine compartment doors, didnt think of it back in /02. Don't remember all the details but it got better after that. I do remember water running out of the dryer and my friend saying don't worry about that that's the easy stuff. I got rid of it straight from the dryer because I didn't want that stuff going backwards in my bins at home and I needed the money as well. Best thing I could have done, sold at or near $10 and by spring I think there might have been an 8 in front. Good luck, and remember if you are doing all you can ...... That's all you can do.

Comment

FWIW, but not much help to you at this point, straight cutting in the snow is working fine.ground still white.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...