• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

lentils

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lentils

Lentils are showing good returns for next year already.

Finding seed is a problem and prices for it reflect that.

My issue is I remember growing lentils and by fall they were 8 cents. The good priced contracts sat in bins.

Any leads on where to get good seed or have some for sale?

3 or better with good germ will work.

What type of lentils are you looking for bucket??

Comment

What type of lentils are you looking for bucket??

Comment

Lentils acres are poised to go through the roof. Pea acres will crash because of this. Look out peas will bring good returns next yr with good yields. Keep lentil acres at bay and don't sell seed. Again these first time growers looking to get rich. Next thing they will be growing them in Meadow Lake etc.

Comment

Am getting calls from as far away as melfort. Anyone thinking they can grow lentils successfully in the black zones is smoking JTs finest. They are touch and go in the dark brown zones depending on moisture. Secondly we've seen this increase in acres multiple times when lentils are hot. Not worried as many acres will be put into non traditional areas that are simply as stated before no suited. Thirdly a few timely rains during harvest and all of a sudden we don't have a large crop of good quality lentils but rather a bunch garbage. First time growers in non traditional areas will more than likely learn the hard way again .

Comment

Bucket, if you haven't grown lentils since they were 8 cents, no wonder farming ain't great.

Lentils have paid the bills on this ranch for a long time.

I remember talking to someone from St. Brieux who was growing lentils for the first time. Anyway she was bragging to me that they had a wonderful crop that was almost up to her knees. She was going to show us how to grow them. I saw her again in the fall and when I asked about her lentil crop, I guess they went about 10 bu of crap.

Comment

Sorry for the double post.

Wrote it and then went out of service thought it hadn't gone thru yet.

Anyway looking for a good red lentil. I think I might try greens again as well.

What varieties should I look for?

Comment

I have red seed bucket if your interested. Maxxim are my variety of choice.

Comment

I have red seed bucket if your interested. Maxxim are my variety of choice.

Comment

Yes Maxim are still the gold standard of reds, the larger varieties like Imax are more prone to chipping. Pick those stones.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...