• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remembrance Day....

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have an uncle buried in Tunisia. He was in the Air Force and on his second tour of duty. They were bombing Sicily and reloaded to make a second run. The plane exploded just after take off. It was the day after his 21st birthday. So thankful that none of our children have to experience this horror.Peace to all.

Comment

And then the silence of the regular posters . As if it didn't pertain to them.the day of remeberance they Shirley hate.and they know tommorrow is a diffent morrow and all is forgot. Then the knew lies start and begin again tribe against tribe hate hate hate and our sons die again and again and agian until we are best friends with the Germans or japs or what ever tribe
      Utter insanity

Comment

Grandfather was in second battle of Ypres. Caught a piece of shrapnel, went through his forearm. Recouped in england came back an Lt. in royal flying corps. Flew with a bunch of other Canadians and Brits, always stories of the antics during the downtime not so much of the action. His best buddies Claxton and McCall were both aces with distinguished records. Claxton was killed in action . William McCall came back to Canada and continued to be involved with air travel his whole life and the Calgary International Airport has him on a short list for naming the airport after him. Grandpa left the RFC a Captain and didn't fly again.

Comment

Cotton. What's up today? I know what your saying about the insanity of it all. Lives lost not by their own accord but by the will of the people in power, war mongers! The Military-Industrial complex needs a steady diet of conflict. It is an economy of its own. But the heaviest costs get paid in lives of civilians serving their Masters (the would like you to believe your country). While the Industrialists prosper.

As wrong and insane as it appears lets not disrespect those who did pay the ultimate price. Whether it was a true conflict to defeat tyranny or some of the more recent imaginary threats. Let's just hope that no one died in vain, that no matter which conflict, it was NEVER in vain.

The face of war/conflict has evolved with man itself, from sticks and stones, to spears and arrows, to primative guns, to high tech guns and bombs, to
          high tech bombs to......

Comment

Well, I am 39 years old. But my grandpa was born in 1896, in Germany. He fought in WWI. He fought FOR Germany. Kinda strange to think of it. I never met him, he died in 1974. I have a gold stop watch that is 101 years old that he received as wages when he was 18 and worked on a neighboring farm.

My dad said he did not ever talk about the war. Except once he was telling a story about how he was guarding a spot and heard sounds in the bushes and started shooting, and then he stopped talking and refused to continue with the story. He apparently saw stuff that made him swear off guns the rest of his life. Much to his chagrin my dad loved hunting, and grandpa would go to the house when he knew his son was going to take a shot at something in the yard. Hated the sound.

Who knows what memories it brought back? Kind of weird to have ancestors on the wrong side of history. I wish I could ask questions now, let me tell you. For all I know, he fought beside Hitler. Bizarre thoughts.

He came to Canada just in time in 1928. Much of his family got caught up in East Germany after WW2, and lived under the communist regime until the wall came down. I remember when my dad's uncle came to our farm in the early 80's and he saw our little D14 allis tractor hooked up to a 7 foot mower dad used to cut slough hay with. He was amazed at the size and the newness of the set up! lol

Anyway, whether on the right side, or the wrong side, I am thankful I personally never had to endure what some of these guys should not have had to endure.

I am thankful to those who to this day sign up and put themselves at risk, fighting and offering themselves in such a way.

Lest we forget....

Comment

Sorry CP...

I am breaking my word... but...

AS someone who is rubbed raw...

With family who died fighting in WW2...

Being Bullied and rubbed raw... I can't never forget...

ever.

Thx and SorryCP.

Over and Out.

Comment

good thread guys.
                my grandfather and his two bothers went to Gallipoli and fought and survived somehow then onto ypres battle fields as mentioned above and france two brothers never came back grandpa did.
                then my father trained as a rear gunner radio operator/code breaker I think for 18 mths in Australia Canada and uk after all the training was shot down over Baltic sea on first mission had to bail out. Spent a few years in camps not quite ymca.... Strangely I didn't keep up the tradition. Any one want to google "hedykrug run up the road" or another "Baltic cruise 1942" they may not be correct title, another "the long march" all my Canadian connections before you guys was his pow mates and there families all on farms. whilst im telling stories one of his favourite pow stories he used to tell me "you never know how dumb you are until you meet a Rhodes scholar" One of his best mates in pow camp was one and they used to play chess with improvised pieces and board to pass time, any way dad used to be on bottom bunk and the Rhodes scholar on top bunk, dad or whoever was on bottom would make there move tell him were they moved it, then he would tell the bottom bunkee to move his piece and he never ever saw the board but was undefeated chees champion of stalg luft 5 6 7 cant remebr the rest chgeers guys sorry for the novel yes remember them

Comment

good thread guys.
                  my grandfather and his two bothers went to Gallipoli and fought and survived somehow then onto ypres battle fields as mentioned above and france two brothers never came back grandpa did.
                  then my father trained as a rear gunner radio operator/code breaker I think for 18 mths in Australia Canada and uk after all the training was shot down over Baltic sea on first mission had to bail out. Spent a few years in camps not quite ymca.... Strangely I didn't keep up the tradition. Any one want to google "hedykrug run up the road" or another "Baltic cruise 1942" they may not be correct title, another "the long march" all my Canadian connections before you guys was his pow mates and there families all on farms. whilst im telling stories one of his favourite pow stories he used to tell me "you never know how dumb you are until you meet a Rhodes scholar" One of his best mates in pow camp was one and they used to play chess with improvised pieces and board to pass time, any way dad used to be on bottom bunk and the Rhodes scholar on top bunk, dad or whoever was on bottom would make there move tell him were they moved it, then he would tell the bottom bunkee to move his piece and he never ever saw the board but was undefeated chees champion of stalg luft 5 6 7 cant remebr the rest chgeers guys sorry for the novel yes remember them

Comment

My grandfather was in the ww2 for three long years. He had the terrible job of malaria control. He trudged trough the swamps in Italy spraying DDT from backpacks just to control insects. Later he drove a 3ton truck with a sprayer on the back to spray the roadsides and camps. Flysol and DDT were the sprays of choice to control the nasty bugs. There was no rubber gloves or spray masks in those days. He kept a diary, it was quite the read. There were many nights that he wrote that the germans were shelling all around him. He helped liberate Holland. He saw allot of things good and bad, but he never talked about the war to anyone.

Comment

Grandpa was an American who moved to Canada at a young age. When the Canadian forces wouldn't allow him to enlist as a 17 yr old he went back to the US and joined the navy. He helped operate the USS Boxer aircraft carrier in the Pacific. He told us some stories but it always ended with Grandma stopping him because she could tell how worked up he got. He struggled with alcohol his whole life. After the Pacific, he went on to fight with Canada in the Korean conflict. I laid a wreath for him yesterday at our local service with his dogtags in hand.

These remembrance day services are what makes me proudest to be a Canadian. Our town has recently had 20 Phillipino families move to town and most of them must have been at the service. I watched as they got choked up when the ministers talked about the sacrifice these soldiers endured for our freedom. These immigrants understand how lucky they are to be given a chance to live in this beautiful country like we do. After WW2 ended grandpa and the USS boxer were stationed in the Phillipines for a while as the war wound down. This all came full circle for me yesterday as I thought about how far these brave mens efforts went. Was a good day to reflect on how thankful I am to be able to raise my family here.

Comment

must have had 8-10 aunts and uncles ,
                        in ww2, one gassed in ww1
                        i think only about 3 were in the thick of it. one of dads brother"S was on d day invasion .
                        my moms oldest brother, navy on convoys
                        said he was scared to death every second.
                        an uncle by marriage was a medic , going thru Italy. he had night mares the rest of his life.
                        they all survived though

Comment

My rantings where to show the insanity of it all. With the way the world is going i hate the thought of one of my sons getting shipped of to fight in a foreign land. No disrespect of anyone was ment.

Comment

Modern warfare is a bit different in that the need for "boots on the ground" aren't required to near the same extent. War is alot more accurate than it ever was. But I guess there will always be a need to go in and dig out the rats.

Comment

Just read these posts; made me think about what I did to remember - sadly I just complained over coffee about Justin T; and worked in my shop. I am ashamed that I never took a moment to remember. Tommorrow I am going to right that and stop at 11:00 and take a moment to reflect and be thankful for what others have given and what others still sacrifice for my freedom.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...