• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canola over winter?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canola over winter?

I know the bad stories where it turns in to nothing. Anyone have a reasonable over winter success story?

Not looking great here now. Got an unforcasted snowfall. Time to face reality and make plans to survive this somehow.

Have at 'er. Thanks

Had about 150 acres out in 2012. Quality by spring was fine. No grade discounts. Didn't shatter very much all winter, but shattered very badly by the time it was dry enough to get into the fields. Had to retrofit a pickup with no gaps, as it was all threshed by the time it was past the pickup. I would probably take it a little bit tough earlier if you can get onto the feilds, before it starts to shatter.

Biggest issue here was the deer and moose. two fields they basically took everything. Walking up and down the swaths eating all winter. Had to clean it all to get the droppings out.
    If not for the wildlife, I wouldn't be too concerned to leave it out again.

Comment

Just got off the phone with a neighbor. They left out a half a few years ago, and it was fine, no grade issues, still yielded well. Maybe there is some hope. Thanks.

Comment

Freewheat,Ive got standing Flax out,so I know how you feel

Comment

Mustard

I had flax flattened with snow in 2009 and harvested it dry in November.

It's maddening but its not over yet.

Comment

Depends on snow cover. Found more snow better, insulates the swath from wind. No snow swath sits there and shakes out all winter,

Comment

Well, we usually get a lot of snow.

Comment

If you have a good crop make sure crap insurance gives you the yield you think is there. If the wild life destroy it they are supposed to pay wildlife. But they try to just pay what you are covered on crop insurance.

Comment

I won't sugar coat it some times it's oh well not bad the next is wtf and you burn it, depends on snow cover and winter Hot fire!

Comment

Yeah it is right at my yield for crop insurance probably. It is the hailed stuff.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...