• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

barley straw

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

barley straw

Good evening just want idea what kind of 2 row barley gives a decent amount of straw. We have cattle and bale our straw it seems that most varieties are short for the grain farmer who doesn't want a lot straw what kind would give us more to bale thank you

Cowboy 2 row barley.

Comment

Cowboy gives plenty of straw and is great forage but the grain yield is no hell. My ground isn't great for barley but when xena is running 60-70 cowboy runs 50-60. It's bred to give lots of forage under low management and lower fertility.

Comment

Why not grow the highest yield possible and buy your straw for $50-$70 a tone delivered?

Comment

Hay is so cheap, in most years. Does it pay to produce your own?

Comment

Cheapest forage for us to grow is barley, wheat, and oats mixed in equal proportion. Simply what's left over after seeding the combining crops. Usually don't use oats anymore because of wild oat problems. Cowboy barley if you seed at least 100 lbs per acre forms a thick canopy and chokes a lot of weeds. Think better grain varieties actually produce a more potent nutritional package and better palatability but cowboy handles stress way better. Too many grain types are so short and really pack it in if it gets dry. We yellow feeded all our forage this year and I'm thinking we'll keep doing that as it sure preserved forage quality leaving it stand to cure through all the rains.

Hay is still the best feed for cows but getting it up in good shape is difficult and time consuming, and bloody expensive once the stand hits the 4 or 5 year mark. The yield starts dropping and the ground gets rough. I can vouch that it takes 3 times longer to put up the same acres of hay as greenfeed and less hay bales. We seldom do better than 3 bales of hay per acre while greenfeed runs a bale better.

Comment

hey look into bently I believe it is called. Was told it was developed for malt but has a lot of biomass and would be good for silage.

Comment

hey look into bently I believe it is called. Was told it was developed for malt but has a lot of biomass and would be good for silage.

Comment

Hi so when making yellow feed what's best way to do it. Heard about but never tried

Comment

Hi so when making yellow feed what's best way to do it. Heard about but never tried

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...