• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much N for Malt BLY

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much N for Malt BLY

How much N do you guys put on BLY to try get Malt? Have not grown for a few yrs. but this last yr. here was a good one for BLY..Neighbors got 80 plus B/A, all accepted and gone last week..It doesn't happen every yr.but with wheat @ $6 or a bit higher, there is not alot of $$$ to be made..Naicam area farmers we getting close to a 100 b/a..if that is true at $5.50 per bushel its way ahead of wheat..

I am not the guy to answer maybe, but I have put up to 100 lbs with no protein issues back when I was trying for the lotto. Quit trying for malt when our falls got stupidly wet. But over here, it is rare for wheat to have over 13% protein because of more moisture.

What about trying a non hard red wheat that yields better? Then you have no grade issues like with malt. Pig barns were paying up to 6 bucks for January a few days ago. No grade worries, no screwing around. 1% dockage, no rail issues, no plugged elevators, no waiting to deliver. Very forgiving.

Comment

Anheuser Busch recommends only 40 lbs N and advises building yield with phosphate and potassium.

Comment

For the "all in at seeding" guys I think it can be tricky. We usually ended up with too high protien. Remember we trend drier. Not enough and it wouldn't seem to yeild, maybe need to follow Bravehearts advice. Nah, **** it, let someone else where the conditions are better go for it.

Comment

For the "all in at seeding" guys I think it can be tricky. We usually ended up with too high protien. Remember we trend drier. Not enough and it wouldn't seem to yeild, maybe need to follow Bravehearts advice. Nah, **** it, let someone else where the conditions are better go for it.

Comment

Thinking further out, if Busch's advice was followed, it sets up well for soybeans to follow malt barley. Soybeans are good scavengers for P and K and the barley stubble is light coloured and leaves a warmer seedbed for the beans to emerge from.

Comment

One neighbor here grows hulless barley with success. High yeilds, 60-90 bu/acre, very good movement. I dont know where he delivers to but he sells it all. It seems like it his niche but it must be in demand . I am guessing it has to do with the old Farmcorp and/or Virtex group.
              Their farm was built on 25 years of consistent malt acceptance. He does not attempt for malt barley at all anymore.

Comment

What about the tea barley market to Japan? CMI been shipping there. Anyone grow it, what are the acceptance factors?

Comment

Partners, there rarely is money in growing something the year after you should have grown it.

But fortunately it does allow the few of us to sell barley this year.

Comment

Brave is on the right track. Applied N will vary with soil test. Certain varieties may be much better at low protein than others.
                    I've got malt ever since I hired my agronomist.

Comment

Awesome your agronomist can control the weather. I need one of those

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...