• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In the end, what areas were seriously affected by drought?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the end, what areas were seriously affected by drought?

Reading and hearing yield reports, and it doesn't seem that too many farms had a drought? During my driving this summer, I saw more crops that had drowned out areas, even in the dry areas, than I would have expected.

So far, on this farm, yields are better than expected, and better than the crops look. It seems that all of the regrowth did contribute to yield. But very little harvested yet, still too much green. We were never as dry as some areas, but seeded into dust, and never had a rain big enough to make a puddle until recently. Biggest issue here was not enough moisture to germinate canola, then burning off most of the leaves and tillers on cereals a couple of times. Recovered from both eventually, but too late.

Could you help draw a mental map of what areas were seriously affected?

'Seriously affected' is not only about yield. It also involves quality.

I have seen and herd of many samples from all over that have been affected by the drought.
    The first crops that were taken off seemed to be of good quality as harvest is progressing, week by week that quality becomes a bigger issue.

The CGC harvest sample survey will be very interesting when it is completed.

Some of the big issues are mildew, immature, sprouted and severe sprouted.

Being able to identify and use 'proper procedures' to assess is going to very important to make sure that producers are being paid the maximum for the grain quality they have grown. It is up to producers to make sure that their buyers are assessing properly and use the "subject to" when they see or feel there is questionable assessment.

Comment

25 Hrs (one that got a bit more rain and better land-40ish)

25 green peas

low 30's canola

low 20's flax

How much worse do you want it? This crop was NEVER lush and was grown on reserve...

Comment

Was dry all summer but more worrisome is next year. Have had some rains to replenish for next season but will need some more. Overall wheat was poor but everything else average.

Comment

Alberta is 50% done according to govt...spring wheat ave...38bu\ac...barley ave...56bu\ac and canola ave...32bu\ac.

Comment

Alberta is 50% done according to govt...spring wheat ave...38bu\ac...barley ave...56bu\ac and canola ave...32bu\ac.

Comment

So many variables. Depending on if you had lots of moisture below surface or not. Of you were wet under surface and got showers you were not bad off but is you were dry with just small showers then lots of rain it's a circus canola 10 to 15
              Wheat 30 to 40. Canary 10 to 15. Peas 20 that's what it looks like but the frost has taken a good chunk out if some of that also.

But can t get on some of the fields to finish it off either.

So within 10 miles you can have everything there are pockets everywhere with variable results. I do have one field of 40 canola but how much froze I will see it had a half inch shower earlier than all my other fields made a works of difference.

Comment

Nothing has averaged above 10 bpa on any quaternary yet.

I am pretty curious how agristabilty kicks in on my farm with this type of disaster. Worst crop I have grown.

Comment

Abfmr5
                  Go to the AG Canada drought maps.
                  You can put in different starting and Ending precipitation dates for the prairies to see exactly when rain came.
                  Then seeding date also had a big impact... Later seeded was better in most cases... So depends on the management on each farm to get the final yields.

Comment

When you get half in inch shower 2 miles over and not somewhere else those general maps mean absolutely nothing.

Comment

Those maos had me looking average early this summer while we were drier than it has ever been

Comment

we need a dry winter and spring again in our part of the world then 4 one inch rains one after seeding one at farm progress show one in July and one at end of July or exhibition week in Regina. That's it repeat.

Comment

Sf3

Bingo that recipe grows nice crops.

Problem is moving it afterwards.

You might as well stay super dry - it's easier on the graincos and railways.

Until they upgrade their infrastructure you will just lose a shitload of money.

BTW no one has increased capacity to move grain since 2013 so what's the point in striving for increased yields and looking for more markets?

Comment

Bucket,

The Export numbers do NOT back up your statements.

25mmt July 31 2011
                            30mmt 2013
                            35mmt 2014

In round numbers from CGC for Canada.

If we are even remotely organised... 35mmt is achievable again... further grain logistical improvements are being made... oil shipments are down...

Comment

But look at what was grown.

Give us the production numbers as well.

Then compare it to 1997 and see if we have made progress.

The point being the infrastructure of this country will never allow it to fire on all cylinders.

Much like the cwb percentage calls the graincos and railways are still using a choke on the system.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...