• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moisture test cereals with immature green kernels

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moisture test cereals with immature green kernels

Like most places this year I expect. Barley and wheat are long since ripe and dry, but the second, third, fourth .... growth is still completely green. It was so dry that the tillers burned off 2 or 3 times. Basic screw top digital moisture tester reads dry most on most samples, even though ~5% of kernels are obviously green. Neighbor has a European tester that grinds the sample first, and it reads 18% on the same samples that read 13 on my own. Standing crop, I refuse to swath given that it rains every second day this fall. Straw still holding up well, in fact the straw is very green even on ripe heads. Some very heavy frosts, but so far have only hurt Canola, not cereals.

Do I believe my own tester, how dangerous are these green kernels?

I have seen some very green kernels that dried in bin with air and never caused any problem.
    The thing I would watch for is how green they are. When they dry they could affect your grade also. If they are green throughout they will be classed as Grass Green or if they are Dark Immature both are degrading factors in #1, 2 and 3. If they are Green Immature they could affect your degree of soundness and affect subjective grade.
    In a nut you have Grass Green, Dark Immature and Green immature make sure the sample is graded for the right factor.

Comment

AB,

I too have waited...

3 good drying days... and swathed grain cures and straightens around. Green turns Gold.

I am about to go put the lifters on and swath it... full moon and equinox... It truly looks (we hope) like the big rain events should be done.

Seed production is tough... as no roundup makes much more patience required.

Comment

Tom just a question on your seeding rate? U mentioned in another thread that u only seeded some wheat at 55 lbs an ac and got a great yield. Is that normally the rate u seed at or is it because u are a seed grower and seed is limited and expensive?

Comment

Lower rate so when they jack the seed price up you can still afford to play the game

Comment

Throw it in a plastic bag and let the sample stabilize for a day then measure with tester.

Comment

Had a percent or two milky green kernels in Pasteur straight cut 10 days ago. It was non descicated and tested 16.5 percent when binned. Rotated a load out of two 10k bus hoppers on aeration full to brim today, both tested 13.5. Can still find the odd green one but they are hard and dry now.

Comment

Seabass,

This was stock seed grown out from New Zealand...

Some was $3/kg, some $2/kg for this seed... was very limited supply available in 2014... high cost... high risk. Did about 40ac. in 2014.

We seeded that same Pedigreed Seed Penhold at about 100lbs /ac in 2015.

Comment

K figured there was cost reasons involved. We could never get away with that light of seeding rate here. Too much Fuz

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...