• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flax on Canola stubble

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flax on Canola stubble

My best flax is on canola stubble and not cereal stubble. Anyone else notice same thing this year.

Yup... same experience here.

Comment

just the opposite here, really struggled lots throughout growing season , almost looks as good as wheat ground side now , not quite tho

Comment

I put flax on canola stubble this year against all recommendations. It turned out just fine, yielded a bit less than flax on wheat stubble but I'm talking with a couple bushels. I'm will not be afraid to do it again!!!

Comment

How is the other way, canola on flax stubble?

Comment

Usually not the best rotation choice. Some years it can work ok, but study after study show flax is affected very negatively following canola much of the time. I have seen some real wrecks along with decent results. The wrecks do not IMO makeup for the once in a while good results.

Canola after flax is fine, if you do not have germ issues in the often dry surface soil following flax...

Comment

We did flax on both as well. Although not all things were equal. The better crop was grown on canola stubble but the ground was heavier and maybe got a wee bit more rain. In. Past years when we grew it on canola stubble we sould get some late volunteers that made straight cutting interesting. Surprisingly this year it is hardly a problem, go figure with the mess I have on most of the rest of farm.

Canola on flax stubble....it better effin rain. Flax stubble always seems drier than anything else. It seems "to do something" to the ground. Anyone have a legitimate explanation? Hobby? Tweety?-----Seeing how much you like it.

Comment

We did flax on both as well. Although not all things were equal. The better crop was grown on canola stubble but the ground was heavier and maybe got a wee bit more rain. In. Past years when we grew it on canola stubble we sould get some late volunteers that made straight cutting interesting. Surprisingly this year it is hardly a problem, go figure with the mess I have on most of the rest of farm.

Canola on flax stubble....it better effin rain. Flax stubble always seems drier than anything else. It seems "to do something" to the ground. Anyone have a legitimate explanation? Hobby? Tweety?-----Seeing how much you like it.

Comment

......damn this site. Can someone address SF3's earlier post. **** me!!!!!

Comment

Anyone experiment with myccorizha fungi when seeding flax on canola stubble? Canola is quite hard on the natural populations and reintroduction of the fungi on canola stubble supposedly makes a huge difference.

Comment

Has little to do with the flax itself but the residue. Or lack of it, esp if its harrowed and burnt. If you have lots of residue or a system like seeding into tall stubble, moisture is not an issue for the canola crop. Just don't grow liberty after flax.

Flax depends strongly on mycorrhizal fungi in the soil to bring nutrients like phosphorus back to the plant’s roots. Because canola is not a mycorrhizae host, it does not leave behind a network of mycorrhizal strands capable of colonizing the new flax roots early in the season. As a result, the young flax plants have a tough time getting all the nutrients they need. Crops like wheat, barley, corn and pulses are mycorrhizae hosts and are more likely to leave behind a mycorrhizal network for the next crop.

from Guy L's work on flax and rotation...
                      http://www.agannex.com/agronomy/what-is-the-best-stubble-for-flax

Comment

we have been caught on flax behind canola last 2 years , won't be doing it again . just did it this year to put a half together . tried jumpstart on canola ground, did nothing . haven't combined it yet , but definetely will be a yield loss on the canola ground side

Comment

Remember the old saying?? friends don't
                          let friends grow flax...

Comment

New rotation, canola, soybeans, flax, soybeans, repeat.
                            Cash o plenty!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                            • Return to Topic List
                            Working...