• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Saw a couple of rats -what to do?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We generally don't have a problem but in fall there can be an issue when they move around. A family of skunks would probably be better than a barn full of welfare cats at controlling rats. But who wants the risk or rabies and getting sprayed?

We try to keep things tidy and have bait boxes/stations set up in buildings for mice. As with rats those little "f"ers are on the move now too. We no longer have cattle so bales are no longer a haven for them. Good luck sumdumguy, don't let them get established.

Comment

When you find entrance hole shove an exhaut hose from vehicle down it. Older vehicle with choke pulled a wee bit works the best.

Comment

You put up a sign job opening Pmo office 10 miles north. Works every time

Comment

In a previous life I had quite a lot to do with rat control. Actually with the exception of hog barns, feedlots and a few other situations they are relatively easily to eliminate. A few strategically located bait stations usually do the trick. I it is especially helpful to put the bait and stations along their runs "in their face" with minimal disturbance. No need for fancy stations. Old tires with plywood on top work fine.
          Most importantly keep the poison fresh till the bastards are eliminated. I like oatmeal and liguid warfarin best. But whatever they like best.
          Don't use strychnine or anything like that. You will kill a few rats but older smarter ones get very bait shy.

Comment

The reason warfarin and other rat poisons work so well is that they have a delayed reaction thereby reducing bait shyness. They have to eat warfarin for a number of days. Some other poisons require only one feeding. Good idea to give them a buffet of various rat poison. But keep the poisons topped up till they are eliminated.

Comment

Liquid warfarin would be my choice cause no cats nor dogs near that farm, but not acquainted with where to buy? Its a nice new yard, want to keep it that way.

Comment

Rm office should sell or give it away. It's a good choice especially when it's hot. I would grab some oatmeal too. I always give the oatmeal bag a little opening with my finger. Just to give them an opening.

Comment

Just remember to never touch the bait with your bare hands as they will not feed on anything that smells strange to them.Always use leather gloves not plastic gloves.

Comment

I went to RM office, they gave me all I need. I picked up 1 pk. of each type. They'll be well-fed.

Comment

Rat infestation is a serious issue and everyone is fed up because of it. We can use some DIY methods to resolve the problem but, this will work only for a temporary period. Sometimes it becomes necessary to hire a professional exterminator like [URL="http://californiarodentcontrol.com/"]Pest Exterminator in Sacramento[/URL] to get permanently rid of rodent issues.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...