• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GST and renting Farm Land

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GST and renting Farm Land

Is anyone renting farmland or renting out farmland
    and paying GST? And then claiming it back through an
    ITC as the tenant? I've looked for one example where a
    landowner has to collect GST but the tenant can't
    reclaim it and I can't find a single case. This seems like
    just an in and out scheme with one consequence.
    Taxpayers pay for someone to process the payment
    and then pay someone to process the rebate. Am I
    wrong here or is this not a total waste of time and
    money? How do we fix it?

We now ask for a GST number before we pay it for land.

Comment

Cash rent, yes---- crop share,no according
      to my info...

Comment

Know what you mean, it is a waste, for sure.
        Same as Canaryseed. Kinda like chasing your
        tail, eh?

Comment

Blame it on that !@#$% Mulroney who cursed us with that !@#$% TAX which nobody wanted. There is enough vexation in life and farming without that !@#$% bull**** imposed on us.

Comment

Increase the dosage willy.

I'm pretty sure that if your landlord isn't registered
            for GST then he can't charge you GST.

Comment

GST is just federal welfare. GST is just a way to
              tax the. Consumer and give it to low income
              earners. April, welfare recipients will get their
              next GST cheque for $1000 or so. One way to
              fund Social Services and make them file tax.

Comment

F all Comedian taxis. Framers are feeding
                the world, eh! Heil Harper, F Ritz!!!

Comment

FarmRanger,

I agree... if the landlord is NOT registered for GST...
                  why would anyone pay it?

Comment

The GST was brought in to replace the 13.5% MST (Manufacturers' Sales Tax). The MST was a regressive tax that made our exports more expensive and made Canadian manufacturers less able to compete with foreign manufacturers.

Scrapping that tax was one of the best things the Mulroney government ever did. Leftists were angry because of their chronic irrational negativity toward anything that might actually benefit their favorite scapegoat - the corporations.

Comment

Farmranger,

Since First Nations [Indians] are exempt... farmers
                      should be as well. Health care... licenses... gov services
                      are exempt... Insurance... a dozen donuts...

Cheers!

Comment

Must listen to Nicolas, ask for the GST number every year. Not sure if you can check to see if it is submitted or not but I had a land lord collect it and not submit it, he actually cancelled his GST number but kept charging cause he could not produce it. Now why its just not exempted some how like on land purchases I don't know. Cause the gov't does not gain out of it, they actually lose in a few cases like this so would be in their best interest to excempt cash rent from gst. Smaller ex farmers probably the worst tax avoiders of them all.

Comment

I hear ya Tom, I'm not sure there should ever be any exemptions based on occupation, racial profile, etc. The whole system becomes more bureaucratic and expensive with every rule and exception.

Be careful when you buy or sell land Hopper. Land purchases aren't exempt; you have to fill out paperwork that allows the vendor not to submit it and the vendee not to pay it. Without the paperwork, you might find that the seller owes and the buyer is owed GST. With the government, you won't likely get paid any interest if they owe you, but if you owe the government then interest and/or penalty may be assessed.

Comment

Ranger that does not make sense, the vender cannot be owed, it is the Gov't and its refundable, so they don't give a rats ass about land sales.

Comment

Doesn't have to make sense Hopper, it’s the government.

From the Gov’t website - http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/gi/gi-002/gi-002-e.pdf
                              <i>Yes, the GST/HST applies to the sale of your farmland to your neighbour regardless of whether he
                              chooses to use it in his farming business or for his personal use. However, if you are selling your
                              farmland as part of an ongoing farming business and not just selling assets, you and your neighbour may
                              jointly elect to have no GST/HST payable on the sale by submitting form GST44, Election Concerning the
                              Acquisition of a Business or Part of a Business.</i>

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...