• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

US elections

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

US elections

2 part question,does it matter in times of such high grain prices which side wins,in relation to farm policy in the US and in times of such high prices are subsidies and govt payments to farmers scaled back to almost nothing?
    seems from here a democrat win, with hillary by a whisker

If food security becomes an issue the next election could be really interesting!

Comment

Mallee,

Most folks call this a draw on Obama and Clinton... the race for the nomination is far from over.

Common theme in many commentaries is that Obama is taking the youth vote big time... and as folks see him more... he gains.

15m hits on Obama utube site... only 5m for Clinton.

Delivery of voters is key to who will win this time. My expectation is that the youth will determine the outcome.

Money tells a big story... and Obama is winning big time where it counts.

Comment

a decision on CRP land will happen before the general election. not all of that land is marginal, but even what is, has been building OM and nutrients. if there is moisture, it could yield.

Comment

Few have a vsion they can explain, and fewer target the young voter.

Obama does both.

What the real issue is in Agriculture in both countries, is youth. Who will farm? Is their a vision to beckon the young?

Parsley

Comment

You don't need vision ,just a reasonable return on investment and s hope for the future viability of farming. Unfortunately for better or worse the future is large corporate farming . No different than a MSFT or Cat etc. More highly trained personel more tech ,less physical labour. Oh and you need a little hunger in rich countries to sharpen the mind.

Comment

Part of an enticing vision is not only being able to make money, but to actually keep it and bank it, instead of having a chunk of it automatically and arbitrarly bitten out and creditied into the account of the Greater Gooders.

Comment

Suspect who ever wins US will become more protectionist/internally focused. Interesting for Canada in that the US will need our commodities (not only oil but also crops).

A side issue that never gets talked about here is the debate over the US farm bill. Current bill ends this year.

Comment

You do realize Obama is for universal medicare. He seems to be a little more to the left than Hillary. This does fall in line with wealth distribution. As to the effect on Agriculture, who is more likely to put an embargo on wheat exports?

Comment

Mallee,

Here is an interesting blog entry:

February 5, 2008
                    How the mighty have fallen on this Super Tuesday
                    On this Super Tuesday, I sense change is in the air …

Change is an everyday part of our lives, to ignore change is often an expensive lesson that few can afford.

On this Super Tuesday, oh how the mighty have fallen.

If you thought I was just referring to Hillary Clinton, you would only be partially right.

Just look back a month or two, Ms. Clinton had a commanding lead in the polls and looked liked a shoe in to win the democratic nomination for president.

Now, lets take a look at another front runner, this one is in the stock market and not the political arena.

Google during this same time frame that Ms. Clinton looked unstoppable, was trading close to $750 dollars a share. By all accounts it seemed destined to reach $1,000!!

Now fast forward to Super Tuesday and we see Hillary Clinton fighting for her political life and Googles stock sinking below $500.

Both Clinton and Google are been challenged by powerful forces that are agents of change. On the political front it is Barack Obama, on the business front it is Microsoft.

One things for sure, Barack Obama represents change to a great many young people. Microsoft on the other hand is just so powerful and wealthy that it can buy and make change happen. Does anyone remember Netscape??? Well Netscape was the most popular web browser and used to commanded a market share close to 90%. Just like Google it to seemed unstoppable, unbeatable and at the top of its game. Enter Microsoft and within a few years Netscape was history, as it was purchased and absorbed into the AOL family and quickly fell into oblivion.

The point of this post is to illustrate that change can be a good thing and change always offers opportunities.

You can always learn new things and learn to profit from change.

One prediction I can make about the future that I know will be 100% correct is this …

Are you ready?

Here's my prediction … "Things change"

I have always believed that change equals opportunity. It's one of the lessons I learned early in life. You can learn about change here.

You can learn how to time change here.

As for the elections, may the best man or woman win.

As for Google and Microsoft … well that's a whole different story that is changing everyday.

Enjoy this Super Tuesday, as one way or another, it represents a defining change for these United States of America.

Adam Hewison
                    http://club.ino.com/trading/

Comment

I really hope i'm wrong on this,but when comes to these things i'm usually not.

The american economy has already slid a long way and its going to get much worse.

When priced in gold the dow has lost about 70% of its value since 2000.

The dollar has been cut in half since 2000.

Realestate has just begun its collapse.

Foreigners are dumping their 6 trillion dollars on the markets.

The debt is over 9 trillion.

The unfunded liabilities are over 56 trillion.

The otc derivatives have balloned to 516 trillion dollars.

The situation is so serious that most people wont face it.They are in denial.

It really doesnt matter who gets elected.When it hits it will be worse than the thirties.timeline-by the end of this year.

Comment

so CP, are you ready to pull the trigger on all remaining stock, including grains? have you forward priced as much as you dare. will it matter, will the co buying the grain not care for it in 2009. there might very well be a lot of people starving.

Comment

cotton - you missed - western canadian wheat farmers out billions of dollars in wheat sales due to complete break down of marketing system.
                          Not as much wheat in supply as first thought b/c of sh@tty cwb returns for board grains - world will starve. U.S./Aus/Arg/U.K. farmers do not have enough grain to fill the gap.

One thing your right on though Wheat will keep climbing -?$20/bus - not in Canada eh?

Comment

I posted specifically what i thought about the grains and oilseeds a few threads back.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                            • Return to Topic List
                            Working...