• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More Appropriate Headline "NFU IN LOVE WITH THE WORD IDEOLOGICAL"

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had an uncle who wore felt boots, a tweed hat with a snap in it, and coveralls, who taught me nothing about fashion, but taught everyone around him everything about honesty, and kindness, and integrity, and respect, and truth.

Ken Sigurdson told his story and although I do not agree with his vision and beliefs, I do respect his sincerity and his dedication to articulate his beliefs,and perhaps CKY Winnipeg evening news looked for and sensed the same.

Parsley

Comment

parsley, with all due respect to your uncle, and I have a father who could be described just as you described your uncle, so I understand what you're saying

BUT, I'm not talking about fashion here, the only thing seen on that front was this man's sweater,

I'm talking about the way in which he presented himself, to the nation and as represenative of "farmers"

Maybe some people like that quaint notion of a thoughtful hayseed, scrapping a tough living off the land.

but I for one do not like being stereotyped as such.

I consider myself a typical middle class maybe even upper middle class Canadian no different that any other owner of any small bussiness in any city accross the country.

But unfortunatly the national media will only put a farmer on camera, so long as looks like he just came in from doing chores.

I consider that to be completly non-represenative of any successful farmer that I know.

The very least Sigurdson could have done before he set out to speak to the national news would be shave, comb his hair and put on something that you wouldn't wear to do chores in.

Unless of course you do want that perception presented that "this is the first time I've ever bin off the farm to the big city.

Comment

parsley,

images are powerful communication tools, and I can't help it if the image I saw made me think of Ted Kaczynski.

Comment

But in the final analyis, he was there, and presented his vision.

I did not.

Comment

Read Jane Jacobs.

She is astoundingly interesting, visionary, acute, connectingly worldly, global, observant about systems. Not that I always agree with her,either.

And then google her picture.

I am sure Paris Hilton would shudder.

Interestingly, they both have a method of getting their message out.

I didn't go to Winnipeg, so I cannot complain, AS.

Parsley

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...