• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Farmers making Millions and Millions of Dollars

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Farmers making Millions and Millions of Dollars

talked to a farmer yesterday whose durum went 70 bushels per acre. On 2000 acres the gross revenue is $1,750,000.00.

I have heard similar stories around Kindersley and Swift Current of durum that went 50 bushels per acre. Now that is only $650,000 for a thousand acres but in that case the lentils and canola took him well into the millions as well.

I hear all the time here on angryville the time people like Saskfarmer bitching about the CWB because he can't get $17.00 for his durum and he blames this on the CWB.

In the case of a few rich farmers who can sit on all of their grain while the raging masses sell out early perhaps Saskfarmer has a legitimate argument. Perhaps we did cost him $5.00 per bushel on his durum. Perhaps it ran 50 bushels per acre and perhaps he had a thousand acres. And perhaps he could have earned an additional quarter of a million dollars.

I could argue that this is a zero sum game and that on the flip side there is another farmer that could have had the same 50 bushel crop on the same acreage base of 1000 acres and he could have sold his durum for $7.00 per bushel and for that farmer we made him an extra quarter million dollars. I could argue that for the health of the community it is better that the second farmer is able to pay down his debt and remain a constructive player in the industry and the community while poor Saskfarmer was prevented from expanding his farm by another section. The section that farmer number two may have sold after making his decision to sell his durum at 7.00.

But it is not a zero sum game. In fact we know that the CWB is asking $22.00 per bushel for durum today when the US elevator price reported here on Agri-vill is only $17.00. Now those elevators will sell your durum for $22.00 if they can get their hands on it.

So we see that for starters the CWB is keeping about $5.00 per bushel out of the handling companies pockets and putting it in farmers pockets right now.

Further we know that the average weighted selling price of durum in the US according to the North Dakota Wheat commission is about $10.00. This is further proof of the value of the CWB. The CWB has added to the bottom line of Canadian farmers on a 3 million tonne program an extra $73.00 per tonne or $220,000.00.

So yes the downside is that we kept Saskfarmer from buying another section of land where he might next year make enough extra money to buy out another suffering neighbor who had to sell a section to Saskfarmer.

The upside is that the Ag industry in Canada made an extra almost quarter of a BILLION DOLLARS.

And that is just on Durum.

Wait till you see my analysis on Spring Wheat and Malt Barley.

Rod Flaman
    CWB Director - District 8
    306-771-2823
    rodflaman@imagewireless.ca

Oh and by the way. The CWB Rocks.

Vader,

I know you know this.

You got elected to the CWB... to be honest... and do the right thing.

Taing grain from people, Taking Basis from growers who are forced to use CWB PPO programs... and adding the "profits" from this "taking" is flat out theft and is wrong.

Be a social engeneer, impose your "NEW" warped view of the world...

You simply know in your heart of hearts... that what you are doing is WRONG, Corrupt, and ILLEGAL. It even breaches CWB Code of COnduct requirements.

ADMIT it VADER.

Comment

Durum is $20.50 today in the U.S.

Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital. ~Aaron Levenstein

How does that Liberal Kool-aid taste?

Comment

So the CWB is a social program with an objective of redistributing wealth and protecting farmers versus a business proposition that creates value and improves efficiency in the supply chain.

I look forward to your analysis of malt barley. I hope you use information from the 2006/07 and 07/08 crop years.

Comment

you just don't get it Rod!

It isn't up to you and the cwb to keep small towns alive. You talk like you are playing god. You admitt to costing some money to keep others going.

You are basically saying that you are keeping the best of the best from reaching there full potential. Let the market decide and this whole agricultural industry will become better off in the longrun. Anytime you penalize the best and prop up the weak, the industry will suffer. Up to this year this industry has been suffering.

Your rants like this make me sick. I can't beleive us farmers, who you admitt you hold back, b/c of some CWB master plan, are paying your salary. Who are you working for? Apparently everybody at the CWB has a bias against large farmers. The ones who pay the majority of their salary.

If saskfarmer is willing to invest in agriculture and also his community, why is the CWB against that.

Oh and thanks for the costing me $5/bu Rod! You know whats best for me and my farm, since we have never met, you've never been to my farm, and you've never seen my financial status. What a joke.....Just b/c you are scared to market your grain, let me market mine!

SCREW THE CWB!!!!!!!!!

Comment

It would be nice to hear from farmers in some of these forums and not just brokers and Alberta Ag professional who do not want any CWB either for monetary or ideologue reasons

Comment

Vader, I can just imagine how much the farmer will see of the returns from $22.00 Durum. History is a great teacher and some of us still have memories.

Comment

Just wondering on the durum pro's the reason they are below the U.S price .

I've heard that 1.5 million tonnes of 06 durum was hauled at end of crop year but sold on this pooling year by farmers which was a smart move. It gives those producers a higher price on 06 crop but it does dilute this years price . Any comments ?

Comment

Saskfarmer 3 just posted Jan. 18 N.D. prices of $20 (not 17). With a deduction of $1.37 could we assume that the durum I recently delivered is being sold for 22 – 1.37 = $20.63. Sounds great!, but wait a minute, how come the PRO is only 12.24 for #1AD 14.5 pro for an Alberta farmer. I can see that I’m going to see a lot of that $20.63.

Ok Vader, I get it now, theft is OK if the victim is probably rich. After all, it’s a zero sum gain, Government mandated victim loses, thief wins = “zero sum gain”.

Don’t agree with it, but I can understand how thieves would. And for the record, I’m a farmer who has durum in the bin, not an ideologue.

Comment

I struggled whether or not to post this.

You know what is the most scary of your speech Vader? It reminds me of the stories my grandpa told me of when the russians invaded Poland where they owned a huge farm for over a couple hundred years. And we all know how that invasion turned out.

When a group with unreasonable power decides what is in the best interest for others without listening, disaster always ensues.

They had 8 farm employees and even grew the communities' ****seed for oil lamps that was crushed onsite. During the war, Russian guards would guard the grain bins in the barns. It was to protect the community and ensure enough food, at least for the soldiers surprisingly, under the guise of community well being.

My dad and his brothers as kids would steal their own grain under the noses of the guards at night under the floor boards at tremendous personal risk and help feed many people. This was a difficult time in history, granted.

Vader, you really scare me with your tone and justification contained in your post. I don't want my grain guarded any more, i only want to do with it what i desire. If i want to give it away to a food bank, or sell it for the highest price, i should be able to.

I think it is called freedom, a word we say so often, but seldom realize or can tie to something tangible nowadays.

As Tom says, God bless Canada for the freedoms we have in this great country. A few more freedoms and this country would be even greater. That, i am afraid Vader, you have lost sight of.

If this post is out of line, please just delete it.

Comment

Rod, thanks for exposing yourself for what you really are. Enjoy your spot on the board for now. You will not be be back.

It is not the job of the CWB to act as a wealth redistributor.

In our area we punted out the guy we had that was cut from the same cloth. We would have taken him out a term earlier but we had too many pro choice guys and we split up the support.

Stubhumper, I am a farmer. Many of those who post here fighting for our freedom are farmers.

I know that in my area farmers who supported the CWB are changing their colors are doing so at an alarming rate. As their management and marketing skills improve and their confidence builds by growing and marketing crops that fall out side of the control of the CWB improve (oats, peas, canola, forage seed) they less and less see value coming from their CWB.

SCREW the CWB!!!!

Comment

Concerning malt barley, let me save you the trouble.

We’re told the CWB single desk keeps the malt premium from eroding due to farmers “bidding the price down”. (Whatever that means...) So let's look at the malt premium.

Over the last eight years in Montana, the 2-row malt barley price has been higher than the feed price by an average of $1.23/bushel (in Canadian dollars). Over the same period in Alberta, the 2-row malt price was, on average, 75 cents/bushel over the CWB’s feed barley price. Compared to the more relevant domestic feed barley market, the CWB looks even worse at only 46 cents/bushel over feed, lagging the open market in Montana by a whopping 77 cents/bushel.

Yes, but, “the CWB simply gets better prices”, you might say. Well then, let’s look at that. Over the last eight years, the annual average price for 2-row malt barley in Montana has ALWAYS been higher than the CWB’s 2-row price in Alberta – on average by 79 cents a bushel. The closest the CWB ever got was on 04/05 when it was 39 cents a bushel below the average Montana price.

In 06/07 the CWB’s 2-row malt price was 27 cents a bu BELOW the average Montana FEED price! This year (so far) they're about the same.

I could go back further if you like, but I seriously doubt the result would change.

So either way you cut it, the CWB single desk seriously under-performs the unregulated, open market of Montana. I’ll let you calculate the total dollars lost to the Western Canadian economy.

So, tell us again why the CWB should be involved in barley?

Comment

Here’s another comparison I like.

Over the last few years, (not including 06/07 and 07/08) Alberta domestic feed barley has averaged about 17 cents above Montana feed barley.

During our brief “open market” last year (March 28 to July 31), Alberta’s price (at Red Deer) averaged 77 cents a bushel ABOVE Montana.

Since we lost the open market on July 31, Alberta’s domestic feed barley price has averaged $2.49/bu BELOW Montana’s average.

Using your kind of math, Rod, we can assume that without the CWB, our prices would have been at least the same as Montana’s. Probably more since our market was beginning to move higher in our brief open market.

On 10 million tonnes this works out to at least $1.1 BILLION lost on feed barley alone. Not because of anything specific the CWB did. Just because it was THERE.

This a rough analysis – but you get the idea.

Comment

Tell the real story Rod! Talk net returns, not gross revenue. MOST FARMS OVER THE PAST DECADE HAVE MADE LITTLE OR SHOWED A NET LOSS WITH ALL BOARD GRAINS - PERIOD. talk net returns, yes some farmers are going to some big "gross" returns for 07-08. That farmer that will gross $1.7 mil., did you ask what his overallcost was? Probably not. Did you ask what his costs will be for '08, probably not.
                            Most farms have shown more years of net losses over the last 10 years. Botom line is that we need every nickle out of this crop and next year to make up for the dismal returns from board grains from the past several years - so tell the whole story - overal net returns there buddy!

Comment

Rod, thanks for offering your defence of the cwb. I disagree big time with your belief, but at least you stated it in a reasoned way.

Just back from our winter vacation and one of the novels I read was The Bancroft Strategy by Robert Ludlum

I really encourage you to read it.

It really ties in to what Vader just wrote. This book was about a multi-billionaire philanthropist who decided to play God by employing a stategy called The Greatest Good for the Greatest Amount (of people).

For instance a scheme would be devised to deliberatly cause a plane crash killing the national soccer team from a small central American country would cause political upheaval within that country and the current corrupt president would be booted from office and a new and much more progressive president would come to power thus making the ordinary lives of hundreds of thousand of people in that country better. The Greatest Good for the Greatest Amount.

All fiction of course but to read the same mantra coming from a real life public person, just gives me the willies.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...