• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Argentina Frost Damage Worse than First thought!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Argentina Frost Damage Worse than First thought!

Argentine wheat crop may have taken bigger hit than early estimate.
    (12/3/2007)

Dismissed as having no real impact on wheat, an early November frost may have done more damage than previously thought. USD grain analyst Jerry Norton says in the last few days there have been several indications that the frost hit the wheat crop harder than first thought. Private consultants in Argentina are forecasting as much as a two million ton loss, which would have a significant impact on the world wheat market and U.S. exporters.

"They are a major exporter, and much of the world has been looking for high quality milling wheat to be coming out of Argentina in the next few months, ahead of the U.S. crop," Norton says. "If their crop is significantly down it will have an impact on world supply."

Argentina has closed all registrations for new exports while the damage is assessed, which has contributed to wheat contracts trading nearly limit-up past few days. USDA plans to release a new forecast of the Argentine wheat crop on Dec. 11.

One thing a farmer who survived the two deadly Frosts of 02 - 04 knows is that at first the experts say their is no real impact but about a month later the real truth is told.
    HM here we go again.

One other thought before I get on the plane this morning, Why is the world counting so much on Argentina. Did the CWB sell all out production already. Hell I am at only 25% Call that means over 75% of our crop is still in our bins farmers.

Comment

Sask3
      I was at a Pioneer Seed meeting the other day and Larry Weber of Weber Commodities was speaking, he showed pictures from Argentina of green newly headed wheat crops. The producer/crop scout that took the pictures said in his area the temp was as low as -8c and he asked Larry if that much frost would do any damage. Larry laughed and asked the crowd what we thought the damage would be. All I know is that if that happened on my farm it would turn my CPS and CWRS into Polish wheat, lots of straw and nothing in the head!.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...