• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CanAm Durum

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CanAm Durum

From Agriweek November 26 2007:

It is the expected thing for the Canadian Wheat Board’s propaganda department to huff and puff and to sneer at, belittle and marginalize anyone who has the temerity to suggest that the Board might not be the most competent, and in all ways the most perfect, entity on this planet. The most competent part of the Board is easily its propaganda ministry. So it was the other week when a prominent farm newspaper picked up on the curious fact, explored originally in this newsletter, that U.S. grain exporters are doing a nice business exporting durum wheat from a country that has not grown enough for its domestic needs in years.
    The U.S. is the second-largest importer of Canadian Wheat Board durum so far this crop year. Its grain trade is importing much more than it needs and exporting the excess to offshore customers, either grain that originated physically in Canada or American-grown durum that was displaced by Canadian imports. Of course it amounts to exactly the same thing. In 2007 the U.S. harvested 72 million bushels of durum wheat and carried in 20 million from 2006-07. Domestic needs are 79 million. Imports of just 7 million bushels would satisfy domestic needs and maintain carryover. The U.S. agriculture department projects durum imports from Canada in 2007-08 at 36 million bushels and durum exports from the U.S. at 30 million, but clearly both will be higher. Up to Nov. 8 in the U.S. crop year that began June 1, American traders loaded out 362,000 tonnes of durum wheat, compared to 107,000 to the same date a year ago. and reported orders for 544,000 more, vs. 417,000 a year ago, a total of 33 million bushels in half a year. This is not a new thing. In 2006-07 the U.S. grew 53 million bushels of durum, used 79 million domestically and exported 35 million.
    The grain trade of the world makes its living by buying low and selling high (or, these days, buying high and selling higher). The durum that is being exported out of the U.S. was bought or is being bought at lower prices than those at which it is being sold. It is being obtained in the continental United States from only two sources: American growers and the Wheat Board. If the Board is really selling in the U.S. at premium retail prices there should be no such margin for U.S. exporters. There is also the easily-verifiable fact that grain elevators in North Dakota routinely pay higher prices for durum than the Wheat Board does.
    In a free and open market with no monopoly single-desk presence, U.S. exporters and flour mills would be in continuous competition with each other for durum deliveries from American growers, almost all of whom are in North Dakota and Montana. Growers sell to the highest bidder they know of. Domestic needs would take preference, so American flour millers would pay whatever it takes to keep the durum at home. Only when domestic sources are exhausted, or are near to being exhausted, should users turn to imports. Exporters to the United States. such as the Wheat Board, would be residual suppliers supplementing inadequate local production. The Wheat Board is not a residual supplier. Durum is coming into the U.S. from Canada and going out of the U.S. to offshore customers that the Wheat Board should be servicing directly.
    The U.S. imports more oats than it grows and exports practically none. The oats market is open and transparent. American and Canadian growers are a single source and prices are completely equalized. No one would dream of trying to export oats out of the U.S.
    To the Wheat Board’s principal propagandist Fitzhenry, this is all “an absurd assertion.” “There is no Canadian durum being re-exported.” These are “wild and unsubstantiated allegations that betray a misunderstanding of international durum marketing.” “We are in a position to obtain the best price of anybody in the world for durum and that’s exactly what we are doing.” End of story.
    Well it’s not the end of the story, at least not to anyone who does not accept the divine right of the Canadian Wheat Board. The Board gives no explanation and advances no hypothesis because firstly it is not in the business of explaining itself to anyone and secondly there is no convenient or believable explanation. Everything points to the conclusion that the Canadian Wheat Board is being outsold, outsmarted and outmaneuvered by private grain traders in the hottest durum market in history. So are its captive Canadian grower-suppliers.
    The Wheat Board is a cost-minus operator. It can sell any grain at any price, deduct any expenses it feels like incurring and pay what’s left over to the growers. Every other trader has to pay competitive prices to attract tradeable supplies, then compete with other sellers to gain customers. The durum story may not be the biggest deal in dollar terms but it looks for all the world like a very big symptom of a very dysfunctional system

I still wounder,
    Last year we shipped #2 Durum to the USA using the CWB through Agricor. All grain shipped went in 100 car spots to Minneapolis. Wounder if it was loaded onto barge and then shipped out of New Orleans to the Rest of the World.
    CWB supplies cheap supply to US Company who then RESALES to customers.

People start asking questions.

LOTS OF QUESTIONS>

Comment

Great story. One thing that needs to be considered is quality differences.

What if US exporters export #3 HAD (or lower) and US pasta millers import #1 and/or #2 CWAD from the CWB? The lower quality markets in the world are satisfied by the US and the US - a high quality market - is satisfied by the CWB.

I wonder what would happen if the US grew nothing but equal quality with Canada.

Comment

So what do you call it when your local elevator sells the grain you hauled for a grade better?(and a wee bit less on dock)

Good management?

Highway robbery?

And you.

Poor managment?

Local sucker?

And if you bitch and complain enough you may loose premium fert and chem pricing.

I'm not proffesing to know the answers but i'm dying to hear the balance of opinion.

Comment

I’m not sure what that has to do with the discussion cotton.

The question that has to be asked is - Does the CWB sell our durum for a lower than market price into the US market?(and elswhere for that matter)

A local elevator has to answer to it’s shareholders. Who does the CWB answer to? What repercussions if any, are there for discount sales to the US? And if you think the prairie farmer are the ones who the CWB is accountable to, why can’t we EVER find out the details of those sales?

Without information, how can we be certain we aren’t just the victims of a government imposed, poorly functioning marketer in a globally competitive market?
          Thats the answer that at least 62% of us would like to know.

Comment

The difference, Cotton, is that you have a choice of elevators to sell your grain to. It all comes down to choice.

If I am going to fail as a farmer, I would rather it be my failings, than some all knowing, never wrong, somebody else's fault (Railroads, Government or other, take your pick)office in Winnipeg selling my grain.

Comment

Could it be the big grain companies at the trough. Normally in an open market there should be someone buying when someone is selling. All year this year with the CWB we had fixed and daily prices well bellow USA prices. What is stopping Cargill, Vitarra and JRI from buying this undervalued sales and reselling it however they see fit? I found it a bit interesting this year that the exact tonnage that I fixed priced on my CWSW wheat got accepted as malt to a domestic user. Some more wheat I have which is exactly the same stuff did not.

Comment

what is stopping the grain co from abritraging the price is they never own the grain, the cwb does....they are merely agents are on their behalf.....they collect the grain at the cwb behest and pay us poor dumb farmer, they do so at great margins and are paid storage...

and cotton if you sell your grain as a lower grade than it actually is, that is your tough shit, you have control and freedom over who you sell to when it comes to board grain, and you have the cgc to medite the dispute if it so arises ..and has absolutely nothing to do with the bigger and more sigificant debate over our freedom to market.....

oh, and screw the cwb

Comment

Cotton our spring wheat comes in at anywhere from 16.8 to a low 14.2 protein.
                  Grade from 3 to 1
                  Final deal after few phone calls and dropped off samples and visits from three major companies we have a deal
                  #1 15.8 protein
                  Shopping around pays big time.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...