• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A "pure" canola crusher investment ?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A "pure" canola crusher investment ?

Anybody have advice in what crusher company a person could invest in that would be as close to being a "pure" crusher investment? The f***ers just put another $0.23 for every bushel they crush into their pockets today! The CWB isn't the only monopoly farmers are dealing with! Once the CWB is finally gone, these f***ers will be next!

Bloke.....I'm not too happy with the margins they are getting away with either. But with our Canuck Buck and ocean freight at all time highs, our canola is an inaccessible island in very rough seas. It's hard for our export customers to exert competitive pressure on the domestic crushers.

At least in the open market you can see what things look like- warts and all. What kind of "crush" do you think our domestic wheat millers are enjoying? Hve you ever wonder why they are such strong supporters of the wheat monopoly? Or the maltsters? Notice how strangely quiet they've become since the the CWB is again their sole supplier of malting barley.

Follow the money.

Comment

Kodiak, you have a point about wheat millers an' barley maltsters, but with ocean freight being priced in $US the true cost of shipping should actually be down, due to exchange rates for any other country other than the USA

Comment

I have to confess I only have general news items and anecdotal comments to go on for ocean freight. Can anyone inform us with actual prices for ocean freight for Oct-Nov-Dec for the last 3 years in Canadian dollars? I know destination, vessel size, etc all are variables, but some apples to apples comparisons would be interesting.

Incognito or Chaffmeister? Maybe Charlie?

Comment

I've heard bulk commodities ie. grains @ $90.ooUS/tonne

Comment

Lee and I use ocean freight information collected by Informa Economics. Can send you a graph on request.

Will agree canola appears to be under valued. Apologize for a bad analogy but sometimes you need patience when you are fishing - there may not be fish in the water in a particular period. Crushers may be covered already on business from the Sept./Oct.

A comment I am seeing is that canola is very competitively priced and likely to attract exporter interest. An increase in buying activity (the equivalent of hooking a fish) will increase the level of excitement in the market.

Comment

A discussion killer but the question is interesting to me from the numbers side. A report today indicated super high inventory in the commercial system so decided to look at.

http://www.grainscanada.gc.ca/pubs/grainstats/2007-08/08gsw_shg14.pdf

Week 14 (November 4), Canada had about 1.4 mln tonnes of canola in commercial positions versus just under 1 mln tonnes a year ago. Assuming a crop of about 9 mln tonnes, about 15 % of this years crop is stored in elevators/terminals. Deliveries about 2.6 mln tonnes, similar to a year ago. Exports are lagging last years pace by about 200,000 tonnes (1.4 mln tonnes to date) with crush about 100,000 tonnes ahead.

Won't go there because a canola thread/would bore everyone to tears but interesting to look at these numbers for other crops.

Comment

Ocean freight

http://www.fao.org/docrep/010/ah876e/ah876e12.htm

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...