• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Central Alberta Frost

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Central Alberta Frost

Was -3 to -4 for several hours in the Didsbury Olds area last night. Still lots of canola to be swathed and immature barley and wheat in the area.
    Got my canola down over a week ago, most of my barley was close.
    If any thing will help the low areas that are holding up my harvest as they where too green. Late weed growth is an issue too.
    How about anyone else?
    Erik

The min temp at the weather station here at the station, which is about two miles outside of Brooks, was 1 but in town I had to sc**** quite a bit of frost off my truck window at 8:05 a.m. Interesting. Often urban areas are warmer than rural ones.

Comment

I believe that is called the urban heat island effect. Concrete traps a lot of heat.

Comment

Combined soft wheat yesterday and grader at elevator did see some frost damage but only slight. Mildew and some sprouts( standing Crop) were also found. Another day where high humdity meant our combining day started at 3 P.M. and shut down at 9 when straw was wet. Moisture ran from 17 to 16 all day.
        Forecast looks crappy for first part of next week. We will all earn our keep this harvest as harvest is building to be as tough as seeding in the spring.

Comment

Franny;

Seems you get your meteorological information from Tim Ball.

Conspiracy Theorist aren't you?

Comment

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

An urban heat island (UHI) is a metropolitan area which is significantly warmer than its surroundings. The temperature difference usually is larger at night than during the day and larger in winter than in summer, and is most apparent when winds are weak. The main cause of the urban heat island is modification of the land surface by urban development; waste heat generated by energy usage is a secondary contributor. As population centres grow they tend to modify a greater and greater area of land and have a corresponding increase in average temperature. Partly as a result of the urban heat island effect, monthly rainfall is about 28% greater between 20-40 miles downwind of cities, compared with upwind.

...Conspiracies everywhere, eh Benny

Comment

Am I reading this wrong or do I detect from the postings the stress level rising because of the crappy harvest weather. I suspect that today will be the last day in our area for a chance to get some quality in the crop especially wheat. Forecast looks bad. I do need a chance to recharge but not with more rain. We have not been able to start the last two days till mid afternoon. We are getting Oct harvest days already in September.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...