• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No Harvest for You!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Harvest for You!

Well last weeks inch kind of screwed up our harvest plans big time. It did allow us to change oil in every thing from augers to garden tractors. All machines are ready to go and yet we sit.
    Friday dried a bit then spit at night and then Saturday looked good till it spit late in the day. Then Sunday it spit all day on and off.
    Swathing yesterday was a shit show as we move into area that had extreme water in last 10 years. Stuck 4 times with machines and water sitting under the crop. Ground still firm enough to hold swathers up but one more big rain and that will make harvest interesting again. Goose shit stuck in one place not nice.
    Basically our water table is back up to what it was last fall.
    These showeres are starting to cause down grading as Barley the was down for 10 days or 15 has had two inches of rain on it. Our 5 day plan had a inch on Thursday out of nothing.
    In the fields as I move north it is showing me that rain makes mud. Areas that I mudded in in May and came up and were growing nice thinned out as July and Flowering took place. Rain thinned out quite a few areas as crop flooded out and turned brown and died.
    We actually need three to 4 years of low precipitation to get some of this land back. Tillage will happen again this fall in our area. All pea stubble is worked on a lot of farms that have extra man power at harvest time. Those fields have greened up with Peas wildoats and other plants.
    So as I head out this morning it rained over night in city and radar shows it picked up steam as It headed north.
    No Harvest for You continues.
    Yes its only end of August today but what started out as perfect harvest with peas in bin and then sold before the first August downpours. Sitting since then makes you restless.
    September Is a wet month for us so today its time to Order propane and clean the dryer up and check it over.
    Enjoy its not over till the fat lady sings but she could give us a nice 20 day stretch. Were at 7% completed with all cereals sprayed except oats and all canola will be down in three days.

Sf3

Have you ever thought of changing your handle to "shleprock" . From Flintstones fame. That cloud just seems to follow you.

Even though you are a positive guy you just seem to have shit luck.

This is just an observation not insulting you.

Comment

Funny bucket! Spilt my coffee! It's just eastern sask rain and harvest go hand in hand! Sept 10 Fargo big iron might make it this year!

Comment

The weather systems sure seem to settle in around Assiniboia and Wynyard. Hope it clears up for you cause drying grain is neither fun nor is it cheap. A big green blob on radar cleared a path from Regina east this morning and will stop harvest for a day or two now. Maybe we need a hard fall frost to clear the way for good harvest weather. Good luck all.

Comment

No harvest for s few days truck muddy no dust!

Comment

October is usual Harvest month many years here... not unexpected!

Comment

We got a 1/10" yesterday afternoon, wheat was dry, watched rider game, sucked, but just MISSED all this morning radar was east of us, gulp was close. Not wet here, no mud, but 12" since June 1st, is bearable. Lodged twisted crops though. 50% canola cut in area, looks great, barley looks huge bushels, wheat not so hot near 50, at 66 lbs, will check for downgrading factors today. Wheat prefers dry, barley/oats hates it. Try go later, sunshine west of here.
              Get any of the rain freewheat?

Comment

SF3, as if you don't need more bad news, but #1 HRS in many places North Dakota has a "3" out front today! and on top of that, any protein premiums that were,,, are gone.

Somebody some where is saying, "thanks for pouring the groceries to it!"

$3.90 USD = $5.20 CAD

Comment

I've been getting texts for #1, 13.5px for around $6.00

Comment

Priced some wht @ Richardson's today..#2 because of mildew..13.3 pro..$5.75 for weekend delivery, when son-in-law comes...

Comment

Your getting our weather the last 10 days
                      Hope it dries out for you's , dry enough here now
                      Wheat down to 12 mt and going through like a dream

Comment

We saw 12 mt on Sat, 1/10" and wham swaths are 17! Going through fine, lots of straw.

Comment

I'm sorry but again sask3. 60 bus of canola and again and again you say wet is worse then drought!!! I don't know about the rest of you but it's about all I can take of the bullshit

Comment

Sorry my above comment should have been in the just over 1/2 done thread

Comment

OK VValk I will give it to you maybe Sask3 is exaggerating a bit, but only a bit, both about being all drowned out and averaging 60 canola.
                              But for farming 50km to the west of Sask3, it has been wet since fall of 2009. I was starting to enjoying the "drought" and was starting to feel uneasy that it would go the other extreme, but 10" later and now receiving 1" a week on matured crops is no fun whatsoever.
                              Here is the story of one rented quarter. Harvest 2008 going close to corner to corner with 145 ac with one slough in one corner. Progressively since 2009, low areas have become permanent sloughs and in the last couple of years they have linked each other. This spring I seeded 109ac on that quarter and this fall preharvested 106ac and guess what it takes 30% more time to get it done all the while taking more risk. When you get 1" now on that land it is way worse then back in 08. Now that is my worse but I have 3 other quarters not far behind. Did the rent go down? No because the same land lord has other land that is OK and I keep thinking it will turn around, it sure cannot stay wet for so long. But at this point it would take a multi year drought to get that land back and the problem is salinity has also crept up the sides so as it gets dry, like this spring, you start to see saline areas where there were none.
                              I am sure you put up with your own challenges, but I thought I would give you a bit of a feel for how muddy it has been here and yes it is sickening too. I have plenty of areas that we will not harvest this fall as there is standing water in crop. That means going back later and hopefully when the water is gone being able to burn it because there is not a chance for going with a combine this fall. and if snow comes early it will accumulate enough snow that that it will be cattails next year instead of crops.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...