• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just over 1/2 done ...

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just over 1/2 done ...

Not great , but not a disaster so far. Some impressive things note for next year so far in the peas and wheat.
    80% of this crop was grown on subsoil, as was stated on a previous post in other areas #1. Good dirt is paying off .. big time here, #2. Poor dirt is showing its P hairs big time regardless of showers or fertility. Rain is #3. Just what we are seeing locally. Good luck stay safe
    Had HRSW down to 12 moisture today, still a solid #1, not worth *** all but a 1. Yields anywhere from 37-62 on the wheat depending on those three variables above , Ave 48 so far. Peas were much the same ave 45. All grading well. Hearing both better and worse locally . Both yields anywhere from 15 to 70.
    With no more soil moisture recharge - next year could be half - but that's a long ways out and anything can and will change.

Rain....with today's farming practices it is the great equalizer. The gap has "narrowed" but will never disappear between light land and heavier land. It just goes to show the most important ingredient can't be bought (or once received, even for free---returned, in a surplus situation). We have a mixed bag here and wish it was all the better stuff, but it isn't and its paid for. Knowing it's limitations goes a long way to accepting its ability.

Imagine the difference in COP/bu of two different pieces of land with big yield differences and equal inputs. Different levels of profitablilty or the need for different prices to make you profitable. The better stuff is worth it in the long run.

We are about 3/4 done.

Comment

reminds me of an old saying much disregarded these days... you can never pay to much for good land or to little for poor land.

Comment

"The better stuff is worth it in the long run" - so true 👍
        This year is showing very well what certain land is really worth - it's not all worth $300,000 a 1/4 - and it's showing big time - good dirt - poor dirt ....
        Yes spotty rains are showing here as wel but even poor dirt with extra showers still has very low yields in general.

Comment

There has been Alota very ave to poor land bought at very high prices the past 5 years in this area and many others - the sting is showing ...

Comment

Well I am happy for you furrow. All year I had the feeling you were in a disaster zone.

Glad it is not as bad as expected. Hopefully I can start on barley this week. Not much done here yet at all.

Comment

I paid 80000 for three that will give 60 canola this year.
              But yea that was a deal it wasn't farmer for three years I lucked out.
              In our area the best is 400 plus the lowest 160 with 250 being the middle.
              Yes the 400 you can pull in and if its 40 in the first 100 ft its 40 all over the field. If its 60 its 60. In the lower valued if its 40 in the first 100 you have no clue till your done the field. Could average 60 or do 30.
              Rolling land or flat has its advantages also. In frost years of 2002 the higher elevation and rolly land out produced my flats.
              But land is only really worth what you can make off of it.
              You cant grow lentils in hills. Or flats peas if it rains every second day.

Comment

Lentils the all done here - nice dry shiney miracle crop. Still love lentils, guess always will. Even though they never got any real moisture from April til July, and they barely grew higher than a gopher, they finished nicely and got sucked into the bin. Canola cut 10 days ago at QuAppelle was testing 6 % moisture and 22 degrees yesterday. Just got a nice start there with a little combining last couple of days. Looks a little damp this morning -actually almost 2/10 rain in Regina.

Comment

50 acres left then done , for the fourth year in a row wheat the money maker , amazing a farm can make so much more money when a union government employee isn't running it . Screw the cwb .

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...