• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

didnt you guys have a drought??

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

didnt you guys have a drought??

To me some phenomenal yields listed below peas wheat and canola.

amazing how yilds can turn around when mother nature is kind.

Title is tongue in cheek by the way, feel sorry for the guys over there that have missed all year and have poor crops must be pockets here and there.

Reckon most of Australia is average or better

Mallee-Are you getting frost some of these nights? If so, what does that do to your crop?

Comment

We had a drought all right. Crops seeded end of April never saw more than 3/10 of rain about twice until July 19. Temps hovered around 30 degrees for weeks. If it weren't for the smoke that covered us for about 12 days from June 28 th to July 10 th. we could have gone to Alaska fishing for Halibut for the rest of the summer.

Comment

5 tenths from may 1st to end of July.

Then it rained and finally germinated the rest of the crop that I killed in the 5 leaf stage later so I could harvest a less than 10 bpa weedy durum crop.

Does that fit the bill.

Comment

Our crop was grown on reserve moisture. The people who won the thunder shower lottery will benefit. Next year it will be even more important to get timely rain if reverves aren't replenished. There has been the odd pleasant harvest surprise up to this point. Of course light land suffered the most. I doubt the four quarter inch shots we got at a time interspersed with afew one tenths here and there did much to counter evaporation and heat. The crop never was "lush". When I was in crop weed spraying my canola it was wilted from lack of moisture and heat, it would recover overnight to do it again the next day until it cooled enough to give it a break. I am surprised I pulled off what I did up to this point. Silver lining.

Work smart and safe, take care.

Comment

Who knows, maybe the thick blanket of northern forest fire smoke helped block the intensity of the sun and prevented crops from baking even more.

Comment

Farmaholic

How do you think that smoke saving strategy will go over with the environmentalists?

Comment

The Natives loved fires. Used them for all kinds of reasons!
                Only white man would be arrogant enough to try to change the weather!!!

Comment

Some areas may have best crop ever but larger area had drought stress, as we heard repeatedly from AV posters.
                  A few places had August frost but nothing major.
                  It is a thousand miles or more from Red River valley of Manitoba to Peace country in Alberta so lots of room for weather variation and crop yields to be different.

Comment

At the end of the day - the last drought started in 2000 - the same thing happened - a decent crop - overall was grown on subsoil in most areas. But the next three were a wreck .... Time will tell as we go foreward .

Comment

If thats the case we're hooped here. Maybe its good for the kid(young man) coming up behind me in the relay race to experience this before he has the "baton" totally in his hand. Get one disaster out of the way before he has to run his leg of the relay race.

Comment

Farmaholic, you know that rain changes Everything in one day -even our attitude.Without rain, the sun's too hot. Its always next year country for people like us, but really we are one good rain away from the edge all summer. Ah, dry land lubbers!

Comment

Mallee,

By the looks of our Canola crops in this art of the Country... the season turned out better than we deserve! Blessed Again! I see plenty of 50buplus pea crops too!!!

Comment

Tom was not even close to the drought area

Comment

We here are good for moisture for a long time... still rutting fields with swathers and sprayers.

However last few systems just miss us and go by along highway 6. Hope that isn't going to be the trend next year...

Not complaining that they miss us now just hope they won't do that all summer.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...