• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dont Count Your Chickens Before they hatch!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dont Count Your Chickens Before they hatch!

Finished up last night just after supper with last field of Roundup on wheat. Looks like a nice stand on late wheat. Sad part this field I let go as it has been sold to a Albertan who is coming to Sask to Farm. I wish the guy luck on his three Quarters, But the land wasn't able to produce like I wanted and It had a few interesting areas that wont ever produce. I digress Good luck chuck welcome to Saskatchewan.
    So as I head back to the city a shower goes over the yard, which was kind of funny since it was a very nice hot day. Checked Radar and yea a little few showers had popped up but nothing major.
    I speeded back to catch my Youngest football game in City. He loves his football. Awesome field for Football in Regina with Astro turf and its not at Taylor Field.
    My wife said put the phone away and watch the game, Nothing really was happening on radar so I did. Happy Wife Happy life and all.
    Boys won we went to Dairy Queen to celebrate with team.
    Got home about 10:30 and a few on here had texted me asking how the hail and rain was.
    What rain in Regina it was a great warm night for football. No rain for you here.
    I rushed to my IPhone and got on the Environment Canada web page and WTF.
    Those fricking showers got strong and really strong. Not green and Yellow but red and even a little of Purple.
    SHIT SHIT SHIT was all I could think.
    Then on Facebook Farms on the South side of valley had photos of Hail on Decks and Hail in Valley and Hail from Neighbors field.
    Modern Tec. Still you have to go out and check the fields because Yard Camera for some reason is out at the farm to city for a feed.
    So what might have been the best year in 10 maybe is going to be a bit or a lot lower.
    Fricking summer storms.
    Oh well in Farming its not a crop till its dumped in the pit and you deposit your check.
    Farming 1 Oh 1.

Sf3

I think it was back in the late 90s we were combining canola in September and drove the combines out on white ground at 9 pm.

It was a nice crop until them.
    Crazy.

Comment

We had one year I was doing Oats on our North Land going late to finish and what a light show to the south thought nothing of it except that it was one of those nights every lightning strike lite up the sky. Driving home thought funny how south of our yard it seemed so shiny and road was wet.
      Next morning reality hit with sunrise. Bad hail storm. Took a section of Awesome canola and Half of wheat.
      White fluffy swaths No sloughs at that time.
      That was first day of October. I cant remember the year.

Comment

That is crazy. Sorry to hear, SF3. It has been so humid and relatively warm, it makes one wonder what may come.

Again, sorry to hear.

Comment

How large an area was the hail storm?

Comment

Saw that on radar last night, thinking close to you. Looks to have gone through Mb, any other reports. S of Portage, purple on radar this morning.

Comment

Here in the RRV we got 4/10" at 0800, came quick but no damage, nice rain for corn and beans. Most if not all canola is threshed.

Comment

Sorry to here. Happened last year to me and the year before after two flood years was tough to swallow.

Comment

Pea hail no wind and only on early swath canola a little loss standing in area l140 10% I'm hearing! But any where from 4 tenths to a inch! Wet and wet

Comment

I guess I spoke too soon, hear now that some neighbours had hail on unthreshed canola, and also some bad hail within 50 miles.

Comment

Bad hail through Morden at least to Altona this morning. I think it was the same cell.

Comment

Been there, not fun . Had combines in field - lost er that night . Not 10%, but 75%. Either way it sucks but , its never - ever , in the bin till its fukin in the bin. All these experts that call farmers down that do not foreward contract down for not doing so , have no fukin clue - ever. And then there is falling markets, or rising markets after this kinda stuff happens ..... again - no clue about whats at stake on a individual level - ever.

Comment

I agree. Lots of damage was done also to one crop. Standing Canola or Strait cut canola. In Canada we have hail storms in fall quite frequent. Swath no loss. Standing loss. Go figure. The experts always know.

Comment

It's all built in tho the price though. Us farmers have the least risk or you d think so by the lack of action to make this point known to the public.

Comment

40 acre corner found 35% then 30 more at 15%

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...