• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time to swath Canola?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time to swath Canola?

You veteran Canola growers-how do you determine the optimum time to cut?

Watch the seed color not the crop color. 60% is ideal. I'd rather she'll a little than go too early but that depends on how many acres need to be done in what time frame. You can check out the canola growers website for pictures and more information.

Comment

Don't most guys just start when their progressive neighbors start?

This year I went earlier than I normally would have, I too like to see a bit of shelling but this year because it was so shitty in spots I wanted to make a tightly packed swath to help it stay put. Sometimes when I waited longer it was a fluffly swath that was hard to pack... more prone to wind damage.

Comment

Some on line resources around swathing and harvest.

http://albertacanola.com/news/swathing-and-harvest-resource-centre/

Comment

When you check for the seed colour change pick pods off main stem and in the top third. 60% colour change with the rest of the seeds having a spot of colour. Any green seed should roll between your fingers under pressure without squashing.

Comment

U can cut a little greener when weather is cool. If hot wait till a little riper and cut at night.

Comment

If you have lots of acres sacrifice one section a little early to save heart ache at end! Add section of strait cut at end to help out!

Comment

I think around here (NE Alberta) we will have most of the cereals in the bin before we swath the canola. Its odd - lots of regrowth in the canola Im thinking that we have to wait for now. If I cut it now ill have green seed for sure. I think ill leave it as long as I can and swath at night. Hopefully the regrowth will mature and I wont lose to much of the first stuff to shattering.

Comment

Right farma, the neighbors can't stand to see swathers going and cut what ever the color change may be. Lots of acres so yup sacrifice to get'er done.

Comment

Dow recommends 70% colour change for the Nexera varieties.

Comment

Nexera @ 70% change?

I think the neighbor has 7% change..Its Dark Green!!!

Comment

Nexeera needs a min 70% color change. They should have told growers that about 10 years ago.

Comment

It's funny.

As time goes on canola swathing recommendations are riper and riper. The longer you hold off the bigger the seed, and the more oil in it.

Here's an idea. Just leave the damn thing standing and go in and straight cut it like they do in the rest of the world.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                          • Return to Topic List
                          Working...